Chat delays for fraud issue is unacceptable

They need an emergency number for things like fraud.

6 Likes

And answer the phone when it rings.

2 Likes

There is another thread on this, which is even more worrying.

1 Like

I disagree. Monzo is a bank so has a responsibility to help a customer out if they are victims of fraud. The customer still has money in their Monzo account so it is Monzoā€™s job to let that customer access it.

Time was Monzo would have been excellent at this, but worryingly they are falling short lately with regards to customer support both on phone and chat. If theyā€™re overstretched then maybe they need to take on new staff

1 Like

Iā€™ve Also had an issue with fraud, On Sunday morning I came home to find that someone had taken Ā£1101 from my account and transferred it into a bunch of different accounts.

After a terrible wait on the app I was told someone will contact me ā€˜Shortlyā€™ but itā€™s now been almost 24 hours since I was told that and Iā€™ve not had any replies at all.

Whoever it was managed to go into my account and transfer money into a number off other accounts without my knowledge.

I contacted the police to report it and was told to contact the bank as a matter of urgency however The bank does not seem to care that I am over a grand out of pocket due to no fault of my own, my accounts are all frozen and Iā€™ve been given no updates.

Anyone else been in a similar situation? and can someone tell me what to expect as this is part of my student loan funds and I need the money to live out and pay for my rent.

These were bank transfers, not card payments?

This doesnā€™t make sense. You came home to find your phone and saw someone had been using your Monzo app? Did you leave the PIN out as well to facilitate this.

Indeed. As well as access to the Monzo app youā€™d need the PIN to initiate bank transfers out. No wonder theyā€™re taking their time to come back to you.

4 Likes

They do have to respond to you within 24 hours, either to refund you or to give you a reason why it will take longer than 24 hours.

But, given your PIN would have been needed, they may not have to actually refund you. It will be up to you to explain how your phone was accessed and your PIN was used. If you have shared your PIN with other people, for example, then you will probably be considered responsible for the losses.

In complicated situations like this, itā€™s probably reasonable to expect to wait a little longer for a response. But, there is a requirement they respond within 24 hours, I think.

If you have fingerprint for authentication turned on, does it still ask for pin for large transactions?

Thereā€™s a good chance this particular case will be referred to the National Crime Agency, in which case the customer wonā€™t hear from Monzo or have any access to the account for quite a few days as they legally canā€™t discuss the case.

2 Likes

I believe it asks for the PIN for all transactions still? Mine does. Fingerprint only gets me into the app.

You can add fingerprints to authorise payments as well.

Fingerprints can be cheated on phones, just how difficult depends on the model and type of phone. Itā€™s not that easy, the only exception was latest Samsung and they put out an advisory not too rely on it, till they updated the software. Which theyā€™ve done now.

Thereā€™s an option in settings to use biometrics for transaction authentication

How exactly is the phone lined manned?

Itā€™s manned 24 hours a day but bizarrely if youā€™re waiting longer than 5 minutes it will disconnect you.

There was one time in the much earlier days of Mondo the app told me Iā€™d just attempted to withdraw cash at an ATM in Indonesia - I froze the card but I called up too mainly because I felt at risk and you kind of want that reassurance but just told me to contact in app and freeze the card. Itā€™s very different to the other banks.

iā€™m really not sure how someone could get in like that but yes I use a finger print to get in although thereā€™s a password as well

Youā€™re right, the did respond, and said they would get back to me before the end of the week.

Which definitely helps.

thatā€™s the thing i only noticed what had happened once I had come home after a late night, and to my knowledge Iā€™m the only one who knows my pin.

That, at least, is something to be reassured by in all this. Hopefully it gets sorted out sooner than expected for you.