Charged twice and unable to get hold of any help for 24 hours

With respect it probably would - it’s just that on your visa card you probably only see cleared payments. The Monzo app shows you all payments cleared or not. (You can check if they have cleared or not by clicking on the payment and then scrolling to the bottom to see if it says pending or not)

Edited to add: Pending payments don’t always go through, some retailers “reserve” money to make sure your account is in credit for example. Then the reserve drops of automatically in a few days.

It is annoying though, because as you say you can’t spend the money while it is “reserved”.

1 Like

Feathers - thank yo ufor your advice. All i am is saying is that i have never known my other bank accounts, or friends who have been charged twice for payments online, yet I know a number of people that are in the same position as me now. I came on here for monzo to get back to me and for me to express my unhappiness with their poor customer service. but thank you for your assistance

In this case it’s the merchant who screwed up.

The same would happen with any other bank - they will still reduce your “available to spend” balance by the amount of the failed transaction.

4 Likes

You should be able to follow the advice in this post…

…to reverse the initial amount, which would have been the authorisation that is still in pending.

1 Like

Thanks Kumnaa! Unfortunately it takes me to a page that says I need to wait 7 days (it said 8 days yesterday when I checked) but I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

This comes up quite often. Most of the frequent posters understand what’s happening but for “normal people” it’s very easy to understand why they are blaming Monzo. There really should be a Monzo page in help explaining what’s going on but I’ve just searched in the in-app help for ‘charged twice’ and nothing that would help appeared :neutral_face:

I don’t work in finance, but as this has happened before, Monzo have explained and always given the money back straight away. My issue is that there has been no one to speak to about it from Monzo. This feature of their banking is leading me to think this outways the pros of Monzo. twice in a month, for payments of £100 and up, is not ideal. Thanks for the help

1 Like

I’ve just checked one of mine that happened today and I went though the following screens. At the bottom of the transaction…

Screenshot_20181201-121931

…and then from clicking ‘Question this transaction’…

Screenshot_20181201-122003

…and then the payment is reversed. Do you see those screens? I don’t know if there’s some scenario where those options don’t appear. The transaction must still be pending though.

1 Like

That’s so sweet of you to look into, i dint have the option to claim the money, but i will check every now and again, as you say, must still be pending.

2 Likes

I can confirm from my personal experience that doing the same as @Kumnaa suggested puts the money back into your account straight away.

And there we have the main problem with Monzo at the moment.

@sophielo has an easily resolvable issue, but can’t get through.

This is more important for banks like Monzo than for traditional banks because Monzo does things differently. Traditional banks don’t show pending transactions, and so people are sometimes confused when unexpected items pop up in the transaction feed.

It shows a little naivety by Monzo that this wasn’t anticipated, in my view.

Hopefully they’ll get the CS side of their operation sorted before long.

6 Likes

Completely agree! Someone on the in-app help just got back to me, asked me to email the booking confirmation and also email correspondence from the customer services of the ticket place (saying that is was my card issuer’s responsibility) and have now been refunded. Thanks for all the help. Monzo needs to up its game in my opinion - great concept, they need to make it a reality.

4 Likes

Seriously? Why? You’ve been told over and over it was the other party’s fault.

They should be responding quicker to support queries. Even an automated response would be better than silence for over 24 hours.

They could also explain these charges really clearly ( obviously not clear enough yet), offer an automated dispute function which lets you dispute a charge and gives you a timeline for responding, or explore other self-service avenues in this situation.

There is lots they can do better with cops (automated and manual) and improving support is essential for them if they are to scale up IMO.

8 Likes

I agree - At the risk of turning this into another slow support response thread, Sophie is completely correct, Monzo do need to up their game - its not acceptable to have no response to customer queries and must be incredibly frustrating to the customer.

16 Likes

The problem is that this option doesn’t always appear, sometimes it forces you to wait 7 or 31 days with no explanation.

I have exactly the same issue with Amazon at the moment, they billed ALL my cards on my Amazon account. On my Joint Account I was able to reverse it, on my personal one I’ve got to wait 31 days.

5 days later and I still can’t get through to Monzo CS.

2 Likes

It strikes me that the system is broken then rather than slow - 5 days and no response means, to me anyway they haven’t received your message - nobody would wait over 5 days to respond - would they - why - even if they were that busy to not be able to catch up over a day ?

4 Likes

Which is why I reached out to them on Twitter.

They then responded to my in-app chat at midnight when I was asleep. Now I’m presumably at the back of the queue again.

If the new chat is randomly losing messages then the situation is even worse.

3 Likes

I completely agree. I’ve been charged twice for two separate SINGLE transactions which means I’m down well over £100. I’ve ‘questioned the payment’ by clicking on SOMETHING WRONG? TELL US but the automatic response I get is ‘The merchant has already collected this money, so we can’t claim in back for you.’ No reply for days on the app either. Infuriating

I believe sometimes it doesn’t give you the option to do it yourself.

Does the payment still say Pending at the very bottom of the transaction screen? If it’s gone through, you would need to speak to the retailer

1 Like