Changing Surname


That is already the case. It’s known as “EEA (PR)”. However, the possession of such a residence card is optional for EU citizens and they must not be discriminated against if they don’t possess one. (I have just applied for one, as my wife - being non-EEA - required one, and it was easier to apply for both together.)


The growing wave of xenophobia following the EU Referendum has finally raised some eyebrows in Government. The Equalities Minister said the Government Equalities Office is aware of and looking in to proof that EU nationals in the UK are being blocked from renting properties, buying properties, getting jobs, booking holidays, buying goods and services, etc.

(MikeF) #23

I won’t have one soon. It expires in December and since I’m not planning on going anywhere in the immediate future I’m also not planning on replacing it.

(Brexit Day Is Gonna Be Shamayzing.) #24

But you had one, I meant people that have never had one…

Even if you don’t need it you may at some point need it for other purposes and then you will be stuck.


I believe it is cheaper to renew than have to apply for a new one in the future. Have a look into it before you make your decision.

(Brexit Day Is Gonna Be Shamayzing.) #26

That and it lasts 10 years

(MikeF) #27

Interesting. I hadn’t heard that.

(Eve) #28

I think you can still bring in your old passport for verification since it still is a form of photo ID, no? It’s a pity the UK is leaving the EU, I would love to have the privilege of travelling to loads of amazing countries without the hassle of a passport.

(Eve) #30

That’s a substantially smaller figure than the US tbh. I think theirs was 58%. Is the figure for people who have never owned a passport, or currently do not have active passports?

I don’t understand the resistance for an identity card, I think it’s pretty useful and has your address, details etc on it. I bring it to any sort of official setting like renewing passports/ going overseas etc. Wasn’t there a National insurance card? Does it have your photo on or has that been phased out too? I got my national insurance number on a flimsy piece of paper and was told that would be the only proof I have. :cold_sweat:


:zipper_mouth_face: Please don’t start this in ‘Changing surname’ this will turn into :fist_right::rage::fist_left:



Yes. I have used an expired passport to prove my son’s identity.

Be prepared for raised eyebrows if you do this. People seem to jump to the conclusion that if the passport has expired then, somehow, you’re not who you say you are.

If that happens, gently explain that your identity has not changed or expired, just the ability to travel overseas on that document has.

Apart from the initial cost, there is no hassle in carrying a passport. The only time I travelled abroad without it was to the Republic of Ireland. It’s easier to take it when travelling in EU.

Civil liberties groups objected. The State wanted to collect all sorts of biometric data and there were concerns over this, storage and use (misuse).

Yes, I have a plastic credit card sized card that is my National Insurance number. No photo on that.

(Amelia Ikeda) #33

National insurance cards specifically say they’re not a form of identity documentation, and the cards are no longer produced.

Also I’m not sure, but I think that census requested if you have ever held a passport and your reasons for doing/not doing so.

(Eve) #34

I think this is where we can link back to @amelia 's initial point about photo ID, a family could, say, only afford to go abroad once every few years and it might not be worth it to get a passport (I think child passports are valid for a shorter amount of time?). So you could visit a lot of different countries and diverse cultures without having to make that expense. I think that’s an amazing thing- without getting into the Brexit debate and all!. Hailing from a city-state half the size of Greater London, pretty much everyone has a passport. You can’t go anywhere otherwise.

If photo ID isn’t required in the UK, then I agree that there should be an alternative to needing a photo ID. I was just surprised initially given how it is required in a lot of countries- but after all the clarification, it makes sense that this might be an issue when less privileged individuals try to get a CA.


or of visas. Some EU countries have been investigating the introduction of visas for UK citizens if we insist on them for their citizens


The National Insurance Number card did not have a photo. it was also marked up with the words “Not valid for Indentification purposes” and it has now been phased out.

(Eve) #37

Odd that EU countries would need a visa for short visits, I can stay in the UK for up to 6 months without one.


Yes. But some weird ideas have been muted with Brexit. Some of the comments about limiting access to EU workers are odd when the issue statistically is non-EU workers from rest of the world. The problem about MPs talking about visas is the tit for tat scenario, we introduce them and other countries will retaliate and introduce them for our citizens.


Ah, I understand your point now. Yes! Thank you.

(Brexit Day Is Gonna Be Shamayzing.) #40

I think everyone in the UK should have to carry an ID card, I have to carry my Emirates ID card with me by law so to me it wouldn’t make a difference to me.

"Issued by the Emirates Identification Authority (EIDA), it features an electronic chip which contains vital information about the holder, such as core details, photo and biometric data (finger prints).

The card is used for multiple purposes, such as dealing with phone and internet, paying utility bills, paying fines, and registering vehicles."

(Malcolm) #41

Although I used passport for prepay would an OAP bus pass work for pensioner who has problems with passport or D/L, thus has both my name and photo. Some years ago it was an acceptable document for a friend to travel by ferry to Irish republic.