Changing Surname

Other banks seem to be able to take things DWP pension and council tax letters, maybe worth chatting to support about what they can accept with manual verification?

1 Like

At the risk of taking this topic further away from the originating post, I wouldn’t agree to this at all. This country has a long tradition of NOT having to prove ones identity upon demand and it’s one of our freedoms I treasure. There is nothing in legislation requiring citizens to carry an identity document nor prove their identity to the police upon demand.

2 Likes

But one card that does everything… why not?

You’re absolutely correct. There’s also a tradition of policing by consent as opposed to law enforcement. Because society consents (I appreciate that some individuals may not) it is usual for people to provide their name to the police upon request.

There are exceptions within the territory of a diplomatic mission, and while in the UK you may not be obliged as a UK citizen to provide documentary proof of identity to a police officer on request, under some Laws this can result in arrest and detention in a police cell until they are able to identify you to their satisfaction, and also under motoring Laws you can face arrest if failing to present in person your identification and ownership documents within 7 days to a nominated police station. As non UK citizens in the UK the police and immigration officials can detain possible illegal imigrants if they are unable to present ID on request and remove them to a detention centre or police station until they are able to verify their identity and status.

It is a requirement for any driver of a motor vehicle on a road to stop and provide his driving licence on the request of a police officer in uniform. (Sections 163 and 164 of Road Traffic Act 1988).

The “producer” (HORT/1) is an allowance for people to provide document within seven days at a police station of their choice. Arrest under these circumstances is less likely these days due to roadside checks that can be conducted with PNC and MIB. It’s still an option though.

We may be off-topic now :thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.