Changing Broadband Provider

I’ve no recommendations to be fair as I don’t use BT directly I’ve got a PlusNet router which works fine.

Set all your security to low there’s no need for it to be high, I recall with work anyone using BT has to disable a number of security measures that don’t really serve a purpose one bit in other to connect to the VPN as BTs firmware is way too over the top at managing the connections

1 Like

Fair enough.
I’ll monitor how it works now for a week or so. Then i’ll get a new router if needed

Thanks everyone

It’s 100% not your connection or anything in the background with BT can pretty much guarantee that, it’s the settings on the router just make sure you read up on what can safely be disabled

1 Like

Do you know if BT routers can be run in modem/bridging mode? If so then absolutely sound advice. Also makes changing ISPs in the future a breeze as you can keep using your own equipment (unless it’s someone like Sky, who make it difficult and outlaw it in their terms).

As for router recommendations, I’m going to presume, for ease of use, you’ll want an all in one (router, switch, WiFi AP in a single device. Do you have a budget for how much you’d be willing to spend @Venomx?

None of it is enabled. I was advised to enable parental controls and whitelist whatsapp.

Found a good router i’ll get that if no luck :money_mouth_face:

£60 tops. Some good looking TP links on amazon

1 Like

I believe so the PlusNet one which is technically BT has this option as I used to use another router attached to it. Would assume it’s baked into BT branded ones

1 Like

I would personally steer clear of TP-Link. They were the first I tried after Apple discontinued AirPorts and the software was crap with many of the features not working. They were aware of the bugs and did say fixes were planned, but I returned mine, so it’s possible the firmware is up to standard now.

I always stand by Wirecutter’s recommendations for routers though, and they are now recommending TP-Link so perhaps they’ve come a long way since I used them. You can have a look through their recommendations here:

Their budget pick should fit within your budget range just about if you can go £5 more! It’s available on amazon here at £65

£60 is hard to meet, but I think if you can push a little more and look at something like Amplifi Instant or Eero which can cost around £80, they will be much easier to set up and use, and work better than most of what’s out there.

As far as the large ISPs go, unless things have changed very recently, both BT and Sky provide IPv6 wherever possible. None of the others have really made any significant progress despite promising to do so for years.

Of course almost all the smaller ISPs, such as AAISP, IDNet, Zen, etc. have been providing IPv6 for years/decades.

As for TP-Link, their devices suffer from the problem almost all Chinese manufactured technology does - the software is terrible and support is virtually non-existent.

I trialed a router from them not too long ago and found the firmware to be buggy and completely insecure. Support was back and forth over weeks with occasionally an updated firmware to try where it was clear they were just making changes to hide issues.

During this initial period the brand new device was deemed to no longer be receiving firmware updates as they had now released a new version of the same model. What ensued was months of going back and forward ending in them sending the new version in exchange, which was no better (just a different chipset). By this time I’d moved on to a better device so I sold the replacement on eBay to make my money back.

2 Likes

Having to experience this when searching for a suitable replacement for my AirPort, I remember exactly why I ended up with an Apple Router in the first place

Gutting that they exited the router market in my opinion, especially with Amazon now owning Eero, and Google’s routers being the only alternatives that seem to have decent firmware.

I eventually settled on an ASUS AC68U but was never completely happy with it. It worked fine most of the time, but the software was a nightmare, and the CPU was just too old and slow to work efficiently.

After a lot of nagging from my friends, and the fact ubiquiti finally had something that looked suitable for the home, I made the switch to their Dream Machine, and despite a buggy set up and broken IPv6, they had a great community, were great to deal with, and it’s been a fantastic experience since with the beta software. Dare I say, I love it more than I did my airport. It’s Apple-esque in many ways, but the software is just far more powerful, that it’s a fully featured OS in its own right, and the iOS app is incredible. I don’t think I’ll ever use anything else now.

Edit: One thing that did surprise that I was uncomfortable with, was some of my DNS queries appeared to be going through 1.1.1.1 and I could not figure out why. I initially suspected that AAISP had started using them and just not said anything. It turned out, if you leave the DNS settings as default, unifi use a combination of 1.1.1.1 and your ISP. I don’t mind it now I’m aware, but was concerning to see it be a default thing with no warning.

1 Like

Going to counter the TP link opinions here.

We have the Deco mesh system and it has been rock solid since April without a single reboot, full WiFi signal and speed anywhere in the house at the bottom of the garden, even get signal in the field across the road. Each mesh has 2 ethernet ports as well which are handy.

It can also be used as a full router (modem required) and the software whilst phone only has enough of the functions I need (custom DNS/DDNS/Static IP assignment).

Did have the BT disks before and these are a different league, would never go back to using any ISP supplied equipment unless I could put in in modem mode and make it dumb.

3 Likes

There should be a 20% discount on paying it off early, as there is no VAT.

1 Like

Are you sure they weren’t being delivered to your neighbour? :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve known many people use and like TP-Link, which is why I trialed one of their devices; they work well for a lot of people.

However, as someone who works in technology and cyber security, I found the total disregard for security issues and downright poor security practices upon diving into the firmware completely unacceptable. Similarly, the lack of a firmware updates or guarantee of updates is a huge security problem, especially when combined with aforementioned issues.

Granted this isn’t an issue specific to TP-Link as software quality and security is a huge issue with devices developed in China. It’s also not likely something the average consumer will care about or even be aware of, which is largely evidenced by the rise of botnets of such unsecured or vulnerable devices.

3 Likes

I would very much recommend against throwing random hardware at a problem you don’t understand in hopes of fixing it. In the automotive industry they call it “shooting the parts cannon” and it usually ends up being a waste of time & money.

Try and pinpoint the problem first and only replace hardware if you are sure it is the problem. I would be very surprised if your problem ends up being anything to do with the actual software on the phone.

4 Likes

@Venomx

If you’re using BT I would try turning off BT Parental Controls. If that does not help, then turn off BT Webprotect.

However, I would be very surprised if the modem was at fault - unless you have done something to the default settings - in which case try resetting it.

Have you also tried reinstalling WhatsApp?

Well it works fine at my families house and works fine on 4G. The problem only exists at my home on my WiFi

It has been completely disabled since I got the router, I was however advised on BTs forums to turn it on and whitelist whatsapp.com and people are saying it is now fixed.

Yes I have

So the deco doesn’t run the router firmware it’s all app based which personally I would prefer a site but is what it is.

It has had 2/3 firmware updates since I got it which is good as I said the decos are great however I would agree the OP’s issues are completely unrelated but a day 1 purchase should be using a different router. The ISP ones are universally terrible.

Whilst this is a good rule for life, the BT kit is notoriously dodgy. The OP will probably have a better experience all in with a half-decent box anyway

2 Likes

Looking at some routers now. Are they easy to setup ?

This one looks ok