Cashback at ASDA

So I went and checked up on this. We have something down for an online issue - I don’t know if anyone has tested that recently? But nothing for cashback :frowning:

I did my shopping online (via app) 22nd and 30th March and was fine

Was in the shop on Monday and didn’t offer me cash back

1 Like

Cool, thank you - that’s really helpful. I have logged this as a merchant acceptance issue and we will be reaching out to Asda to get it sorted :muscle:

2 Likes

If you can ask why they didn’t refund my mint sauce while you’re at it, it’ll save me an email :grin:

3 Likes

@HughWells Did you ever manage to sort out the issue with this merchant?

I tried using my card today to get cashback and no option was given to the cashier.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that this is still a problem :frowning: I’ll follow up with PartnerOps and see where we got with the merchant :+1:

2 Likes

Would Monzo prefer we used cashback or an ATM :face_with_monocle:?

1 Like

Cashback :slight_smile: We don’t get any interchange but we also don’t get charged a fee.

This should be fixed I’m told :frowning_face: Which store was it?

2 Likes

ASDA my friend. Still the same issue. No option for cashback from the cashier. I tried a few times.

I think the question is ‘Which ASDA?’.

1 Like

It’s Walmart. Enough said. In their home country they don’t support contactless at all to try and hurt card networks. Even here, they don’t support AmEx contactless and I’m not sure but I think they might not support contactless over £30 either.

Offering payment options has never been their forte.

That said, cashback is something you’d think they’d want to aggressively offer whenever possible. It saves them a lot of money. Cashback benefits everyone if cash has to exist.

P.S. I should clarify there is one party cashback doesn’t benefit… ATM operators.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, how would this save the store money? Surely if you get cashback it’s costing them money as they’re paying a small % to the payment processor on any cashback you get.

This is only a presumption but my guess is they pay a smaller deposit fee to their bank the less they cash in, it also saves staff time bagging and counting it at the end of the day etc.
There is also the security risk of transporting cash. The less you have to move the less to worry about.

Also if Monzo don’t get any interchange fee on cashback is there actually a fee to the merchant if processed in this way?

1 Like

ASDA’s chip and pin terminals don’t allow Apple Pay / Google Pay payments over £30 too…

Still find it weird that supermarkets are so slow to adapt to newer technologies… Sainsbury’s took an age to upgrade to contactless too.

The only reason Tesco don’t is because they want you to use their Pay+ thing :roll_eyes:

Can’t say much for ASDA though…

Not sure what they get out of this in the UK though :man_shrugging:

1 Like

There is no interchange on cashback, meanwhile they would pay to bank cash and average cash on hand may affect their insurance rates as well.

1 Like

@HughWells Sorry mate. Eastgate store in Essex Anglia/South region. Internal branch code 4216 (if they ask)

1 Like

Is there any update on this, please? Tried this in Asda Leckwith, Cardiff on Saturday and I still wasn’t offered cashback :frowning:

2 Likes

Anyone still having this issue?

I have contacted COps a few times but never hear anything back.

@HughWells do you mind checking on this the next time you are in the office, please?

Haven’t been to ASDA in a while, will have to check.

I’m wondering if this’ll be fixed for both their normal and self checkouts at the same time (ASDA are one of the very few stores that offer cashback via the self checkouts, which is really useful).

Liam