Card Error using Contactless

Hello everybody!
I’ve received earlier this week my Monzo Card.

Yesterday I tried to pay using contactless in a Tesco Express, and I’ve got a Card Error on the POS display. The same today when I tried to pay via contactless in Costa, Card Error on the POS display. Honestly I didn’t try using the chip. Also, the app doesn’t show any error about the two failures above.

However I tried to grab some cash from the ATM and that worked fine and the transaction appeared in the app.

Is there a reson why the card didn’t work? Is there a contactless activation that I am supposed to do, or it should be enough the first activation when the card arrived?

Thanks!
Salvo

The first time you get the card you should make at least one transaction with chip and pin. Contactless is sometimes (always?) locked out until that happens - I presume to avoid the problem of a card lost in the post being used without the pin.

3 Likes

I’ve read here previously that you need to do a chip and pin POS transaction before contactless will work.

EDIT: Yeah, beaten to it :joy:

2 Likes

Wonderful, I will try as soon as I can and come back with a response, which might be helpful for other people.

Thank you guys!

Presumably this is to prevent a crooked mailman from paying his morning coffee by tapping a :monzo: welcome letter on the card reader. :joy:

1 Like

Wouldn’t work as cards have to provisioned in app :wink:

2 Likes

What an outrageous thing to say!

Which bit semikie? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Paying with chip+pin enabled the contactless :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Presumably the prepaid card’s firmware is off-the-shelf and was designed with assumption that the card being sent out is already linked to an account so it makes sense to keep contactless off until the first PIN-verified transaction.

1 Like