Can you stop being desperate with the £10 referral bonus?

I nearly started a thread about this earlier, but when I saw no-one else had I thought it was just me that felt that way. I think it is worse for those of us on the forums because we have seen forum posts about it, emails, notifications, a blog post etc those of us on Twitter will have seen it there as well.

2 Likes

I would go as far as to say it’s a complete abuse of the permissions.
Push notifications are for important, time sensitive information, surely…

5 Likes

Might want to tell that to Soundhound! They’re always sending me push notifications for utter bobbins

1 Like

Which inspired me to go turn them off

3 Likes

If this is the way push notifications are going with monzo, I’d definitely consider switching them off

4 Likes

+10 for this.

I know that it’s difficult to judge how much contact is pestering, but for me Monzo have stepped onto the wrong side of the line on this one.

2 Likes

It’s annoying me that it’s the first item on the payment tab. Take it away, that’s not where you should be putting it. Payments is a place to manage my payments not sign ups for others.

6 Likes

Surely opting out should clear this from appearing; having no way at all to opt out of in app advertising is not cool.

2 Likes

Yes, and yes. Do we have any way of tracking take up?

1 Like

I don’t get why people are getting their knickers in a twist soo much, I seen the feed on here, read it, no issue. Got the push notification, took seconds to read it and clear it, see the red dot, not bothered. Got the email, deleted it.

Jeeze it’s the festive season, lighten up and be merry :santa:

18 Likes

Agreed. It’s annoying me too.

The offer just comes across as cheap and gimmicky. Monzo can’t compete with the big banks on sign up bribes (£10 vs £150), so don’t try. The £10 offer just looks silly and desperate, in my opinion.

I expected a more innovative campaign from Monzo.

7 Likes

I really find these annoying.

I have 15 completed golden tickets from when that was a thing, and would like the notifications to be more intelligent - at that many already used it would be fair to say from my social circle its unlikely anyone hasn’t already heard of Monzo from me.

And as for re-sharing:

1 Like

My primary gripe with these messages is that they are marketing messages, but, although they were sent to me, they were aimed at my friends and family.

Monzo were pestering me to encourage me to pester others.

If Monzo want to market to my friends and family, feel free - just do it directly.

7 Likes

For avoidance of doubt about this point, are you suggesting they should be instead trying to reach them by things like newspaper adverts and Facebook ads, in a not totally targeted fashion

Some debate to be had about how effective that could be

I certainly think person to person recommendation is better and this offer helped me personally in that regard - it has my team at work talking about fintech options for first time off back of me sharing link

Did they get the balance right for everyone, I guess that is the discussion here

Certainly is much cheaper this way. Cost per acquisition will be very low using a £10 referral (nothing if someone signs up and never spends) as opposed to advertisements. Problem is it requires goodwill on your patrons behalf to be effective.

Evidently by the tone of this thread, the line has been somewhat crossed. I imagine we’ll get another official Monzo response once everyone is back after the weekend.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting they do anything. I’m suggesting that I’d rather they didn’t do their marketing through me.

If I wanted to evangelise about Monzo, I would have already have done it by now.

1 Like

It looks like it’s working to me:

Graphs from here.

The previous spike in the graph showing the moving average was from their tube ads, they’re almost signing up as many users now as they did then, without spending anywhere near as much money on advertising - as far as I can see.

10 Likes

I wouldnt blow their trumpet just yet.

With the incentive of £10 for signing up and completeing just one transaction id like to know how many of these new sign ups stick around.

Id like to see active account numbers after this rather than the ohhh we have 1.4mill users

3 Likes

Not sure any bank apart from Monzo ever states the active user numbers. Every time the percentage is given it always shows an increase

4 Likes

I’ve been making similar comments for over two years now, it’s worked out pretty good so far :slight_smile:

2 Likes