Business Banking Statements

I’ve been using Monzo business banking since February. In fact, short of closing down our old business accounts to retain credit facilities, we’re now using Monzo for all transactions.

I do however have one big frustration and that’s the bank statements! I would request Monzo consider the following:

1. Display Credits and Debits in separate columns. It makes it so much easier to review transactions. For example, we print statements for our accountants, board meetings etc and we like to be able to browse through them quickly.
  2. Do not display pot transfers in the statements. For business we just need to see what’s coming in and out. Since we’re utilizing numerous pots for a variety of reasons it just makes the statements look messy.
  3. Statements do not seem to display correct descriptions. For example, our old HSBC bank statements shows our Office365 payments as ‘Microsoft’. However, Monzo displays a seemingly random number, which I assume is a transaction number. It’s the same for LinkedIn and others. It means we have to match payment values to invoices, which is not ideal, especially when our HSBC bank account was able to display company names, so I assume it’s doable.
  4. Set up an email schedule so we don’t have to download the statements each month. May seem unnecessary, but we have to email our bank statements to numerous people and it’s a pain downloading to my phone, sending to back-office, then sending out again. If on the first of each month the previous month’s statement was emailed directly to me as a .pdf I could store and distribute it much more efficiently.

Just some thoughts, but they would make a big difference to us.

12 Likes

Hey @alexjordan!

Thanks so much for these suggestions, they’re really great :heart_eyes:

We’re discussing these as a team now! We’ve got quite a big chunk of work over the next couple of weeks, but we’ll absolutely take these points into account soon after :blush:

And it’s great to hear you’re using Monzo for all transactions now! Thanks for being with us since the beginning.

Please do keep the feedback coming!

5 Likes

@jackcully Hi Jack, just for your info and if it helps, I agree with everything suggested by @alexjordan above and hopefully they can be implemented before the launch :+1:

1 Like

+1 from me, especially on the pot transfers. Nightmare job trying do the accounts when the balances don’t match, and to explain it to my accountant. Either the pots are separate accounts with statements of their own, or not. The email idea is great too. That aside loving Monzo for business (and looking forward to a different coloured card too).

4 Likes
  • for the automatic bank statements. Would be great to be able to have an api so it would be possible automate this :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply and glad to hear the team are on it. Looks like it’s not just me who would like a few tweaks. :+1:

2 Likes

Hey @jackcully just wondered what the outcomes of your discussions were? Still have the same frustrations so wondered if they were on the roadmap to address? Cheers, Alex

Hey Alex :wave:

I appreciate that it’s been a while since I’ve been back to you on this, sorry about that :pensive:

Sadly, a few other things have been occupying our time over the last month or two, so we haven’t quite got to this yet. But we’ve talked about it as a team, we just need to design and build it now! We definitely want to do this work, and we’ll do it soon, but I can’t give you a timeline just now, I’m afraid!

If you’ve got any further thoughts, though - we’d be happy to include them as we get round to implementing some of the thoughts you’ve shared there :blush:

2 Likes

No worries at all. I know you’re all working really hard! Just wondered how the conversation had gone, but it sounds like this is something you want to address which is great :+1:

Sorry if this has been discussed/resolved elsewhere. I’ve just gotten up and running with my business account and discovered this issue.

1 - Statements are confusing because the top of the statement shows the full balance including pots (but thanks for adding that little note below the balance explaining). But the running balance in the statement shows the balance without the pots.

2 - I’m very pleased that the transfers to pots don’t seem to be showing up in the statements that go to Xero (so I don’t have the reconciliation nightmare @projectfortytwo experiences). But, the confusion continues because the printed statement (which I do share with my accountant) doesn’t match Xero.

Ideal would be to remove all pot transactions from all statements, making the pots “invisible”.

And, while I’m here, I’ll vote for the automated sending of pdf statements (to me and to my accountant).

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! We have a list of updates we’d love to make to statements and CSV exports… we’re compiling it all together, and hoping we can prioritise it soon (we have a lot of other things on right now though, but definitely on our radar!)

Would it make sense to think about exports and statements for personal accounts at the same time, given they suffer from the same problems?