[Brexit Chat] Stockpiling For Brexit

Time to head to Costco and stock up… :wink:

1 Like

If you’re worried, Who Gives a Crap delivers in bulk!

5 Likes

:joy: excellent name!!

1 Like

I’ve played enough Fallout to know what is needed when the proverbial hits the fan…

Just give me some old school rag-time music and I’ll be on my way.

Apologies for resurrecting this, but time is ticking down, folks. Have you made provision?

What is your Brexit food plan?
  • No change to my normal food shopping, it’ll be fine
  • Have tried to create a small surplus, “just in case”
  • I have a small Brexit stockpile that will last me a few weeks
  • I have a hefty Brexit stockpile to see me through months
  • I’ve gone full Nuclear Brexit Doomsday Prepper and can survive until 2025 on my dried/canned goods supply

0 voters

I’m too busy stockpiling for covid to stockpile for Brexit

7 Likes

Just eat such a unhealthy diet that contains no imported food by coincidence like me.

Not a recommendation, you can avoid imports and be healthy if your worried about shortages but it’s never going to happen like with COVID.

1 Like

Kinda depends.

If there are going to be shortages of imported goods, then there will be shortages of home produced goods as people try to buy Brussels sprouts because they can’t get tomatoes. Which is going to make spaghetti bolognese “interesting.”

5 Likes

It’s a moving target. You may be OK now, but what happens when all the people currently buying imported foods decide to move to buying non-imported instead (either because of scarcity or because of the massive price rises).

Speaking of price rises, that can and will affect domestically produced food as well because plenty of them will be importing various source ingredients. Have a look at the small print on your unhealthy frozen British food and see how much of it is actually sourced from European countries and further afield.

So, I have a stockpile. Unfortunately not as large as it used to be, as I had to dip in to it during lockdowns and wasn’t able to fully replenish it.

1 Like

What kind of things do you eat then?

So in my day job when I’m not shitposting on here, I work in food supply chains - at a place who sources ingredients globally - and manufactures both in the UK and EU, for both markets

And honestly the last few months have been problematic.

Our broad concerns really come down to a) the ability for us to simply move stuff across borders, owed to resources, capacity, traffic, etc, and b) wether or not the right systems will be in place by Dec 31 to deal with appropriate rates and levys etc.

What I’d expect, across the industry broadly - is an almost immediate rise in prices if we have no deal. A lot of companies will be putting price increases up to the Retailers if No Deal happens; simply owed to the default tariffs = importing becomes more expensive.

We’re also anticipating similar issues in sourcing packaging too - same sort of story - demand will change, there’ll be a mix of UK/EU import/export needed (even if the food itself is locally sourced), and this stuff will get held up too - and even if everything else is in place, without packaging we can’t do much!

And while we’ve been doing everything we can to make things smooth - stock build ourselves in our own warehouses (to alleviate the “just in time” factor of supply chains), etc, there will be a good amount of disruption from Jan 1st with a No Deal.

I think though, very worst case, it will be a case of localised delays and perhaps maybe not the immediate availability of all of the things - but I don’t think it’s at stockpile everything territory. And we’ll see costs go up.

(And so, despite all that, I’m carrying on with my normal purchasing behaviour)

9 Likes

Can’t stand Jack Monroe, just grates on me🤦

If you cast your mind back to the beginning of lockdown 1.0, was it not the case that on the shelf shortages after the initial bout of panic buying were caused by people just buying an extra couple of tins, just in case?

1 Like

And now for something more contributing :rofl:

I’m stocked up with basics anyways with enough to always last a couple of months as it is.

Yes some items will maybe go down in stock at the supermarkets but I don’t exactly see it as the doom and gloom reported by the media, they need to have all them dodgy headlines to pull in the readership.

If something’s out of stock then just move on to something else until normality arrives

1 Like

So if I can no longer source beans for my beans on toast, I should just swap to mushy peas on toast instead? :eyes: Deeeelish!!

3 Likes

No, Brussels sprouts on toast

3 Likes

Correct if you do wish to do so. It’s food at end of day.

I may be imagining this, but I’m sure there was a sit com back in the eighties which was based on the premise that the USSR had successfully invaded the U.K. and all anyone had to eat was beetroot.

That could happen.

I may have to try that, toasted sandwich with cheese alternative, maybe a bit of Marmite.

I think you’re on to something

They should have pointed this out during the referendum. It would have been 100% vote leave with such a tasty future awaiting us