[Brexit Chat] Stockpiling For Brexit

Purpose of Brexit.

3 Likes

It’s a delicious irony

Or not so delicious based on personal preferences

1 Like

:thinking:

1 Like

Well of course the retailers would say that, they’re in on the conspiracy!!!11!!!1!!!1!111!!

2 Likes

Right. The very same retailers that have been struggling to import my brioche from France for the last 12 months. I miss Ocado. :sob:

So there’s a few things going on there I think - and absolutely there was a degree of panic buying - but it’s not the entire story.

People making changes to their purchasing habits will of course have an impact on the availability of stuff - but I think that falls into the area of “localised delays” - it changes the ability to make forecasts based on predictable past patterns of course.

I think Lockdown was a more extreme version - and part of that is because there was a drastic shift in what types of stuff people wanted to buy.

For example, there’s a huge shift away from “meal deals” and into buying more stuff to make at home, or from buying ‘smaller one offs’, multiple times per week, to buying in bulk to last longer. This had a really big impact, because manufacturing was set up for a certain split of both, and the drastic change from one to the other saw the impact on availability. (And manufacturing having to shift to adapt)

Now it’s not to say it won’t happen again, but the big driver of that was everyone being told to Remain Indoors.

In lockdown 2, there was some of the same shift (in our numbers at least) but not as drastic as Lockdown 1.

So I think there will be some stuff attributed to increased purchasing, but I don’t think it’s the full picture.

And, with Brexit at least, people are/have been planning what contingencies could look like in the lead up - so while there is still a huge ‘unknown’ factor of whatever comes on Dec 31, it’s still something that’s had some level of preparedness for.

Edit: wrote a full sentence I left open

4 Likes

But lockdown 3 at the same time as Brexit?

I’m quite enjoying the irony in the government adverts that keep on proclaiming time is running out for.

Trying to get businesses ready to transition, only thing correct in the advert is that times running out for Boris to actually make his mind up. Can’t really transition your business without knowing what the actual rules are 🤦

1 Like

Mostly things like pot noodles or the food in the canteen at work.
Weekly mcdonalds too, I somehow have lost weight eating this with my physical job.

Yeah I know it’s bad but with my poor mental health it’s all I feel like eating.

Take some multivitamins. It’ll fend off scurvy

2 Likes

Made it slightly better went to Greggs this morning.

Welcome to Brexit, truckers be stockpiling hummus and carrot sticks for the travels then 🤷

My biggest concern at the moment is Saturo, and other EU counterparts. In the U.K. we have only one such company, which is Huel, and they are by far the least tastiest option. Right now, because we’re in the EU, it’s relatively cheap to get these delivered to the U.K., so cheap in fact that it’s free, and you just pay the euro price for the product in GBP.

Do I stockpile for the entire 18 month lifespan of the product, or just hope the product will remain as easily and cheaply available. I have too little knowledge on this stuff and what the impact would be. Even the companies themselves sound unsure when I ask, just that they hope to remain available post Brexit.

I suspect a lot of travelers to the EU will be caught out by new regulations next year.

Still, we’ll “prosper mightily“ in just a couple of weeks.

Yes I can’t wait for the 1st January, the solution to all our problems.

1 Like

I long for the moment that my biggest concern is whether a European mail order meal replacement shake/powder company which I prefer to the homegrown rival will continue to deliver to me, it will mean I truly only have first world problems to contend with… :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

6 Likes