Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2022

Yeah washing the pan the wrong can ruined them I have heard. I seasoned my cast iron bits in my bbq and I actually own these Judge Double Walled Glass Tumbler, Set of 2 | Buy Me Once UK
Bought them for a go locally as they were on sale for £10. Love them.

2 Likes

Asda actually do a really good branded range, best non stick pans I’ve used. 15 year guarantee on them, I’ve never stuck with a pan set that long though.

Asked my friend this morning. She said Iron is definitely the way to go. She has this one:

1 Like

One of my purchases turned up today, should of been tomorrow. As soon as I’d seen the notification in Amazon I pressed the button to say deliver it to behind the waste bins.

Photo comes through hours later of it just proudly sat on the front doorstep, luckily it’s a 5 min drive home. Parcel now sat securely in the house instead.

2 Likes

You should tell your housemate ‘Seasoning’ a wok is a gimmick lol.

Also feel free to keep buying from Buy me Once, I I have £50 of shares in them :grin:. For pans though I always buy Stellar, they hit the same marks as La Creuset for me without the silly price tags - never been dissappointed with their pans and my oldest is 12 years and there isn’t a scratch or dent on it

1 Like

Ooh tell me more!

It’s a thing that happens naturally if you are, say, a Thai street food vendor. They cook the same dish all the time and over time their woks build up a unique flavour that adds to the dish. Restaurants in the region do that, it’s a thing.

But you can’t really recreate that if you are a home cook cooking lots of different things from different places. Especially if you are cooking sauces or anything wet etc. You are really better off just to keep your wok clean!

edit: maybe unless you are keeping a wok for specific types of dishes or something. I still doubt it will build up a beneficial flavour profile tbh.

2 Likes

Oh yes! The number of people who think that thick layers of manly old oil that’s attracting players of dust is ‘seasoning’. Ick, no. You should clean/wipe that off even if you’re not doing a full wash and scrub.

1 Like

Ah, i just thought that seasoned layers of oil were meant as a natural replacement for a non-stick coating, rather than for taste. I suppose the clue was in the name, looking back.

3 Likes

If you were talking about cast iron you’d be absolutely right, if that helps you feel any better.

1 Like

I think I’ll stay out of it :joy:

I understand nothing of the conversation that followed on from your reply so couldn’t even debate it if she challenged the point!

3 Likes

That’s true but if that’s the goal you can season it once and then still wash it. The oil will bond with the steel and won’t ‘wash off’ with some soap :sweat_smile:

Tbh, I cook mainly in stainless steel pans. I don’t need a Teflon coat that is going to rub off onto the food eventually, I just move things around, preheat the oil, heat sauces gently etc so stuff doesn’t stick and never understood why that’s hard.

1 Like

I’d quite a nice set of stainless steel pans, but can’t quite justify replacing the existing ones at this point in time. It was watching Babish videos and learning about ‘fond’ that made me realise the non-stick obsession we (that is, my family) have is a bit misguided.

I did get my hands on an old cast iron pan a while back, scrubbed it clean of dirt and rust, spent hours on that and re-seasoning it again. Came home one day and found it had been scrubbed clean and left to air dry :sob: It’s still in a cupboard waiting for me to clean the new rust off again. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

This is happening to me right now. Ordered an item on Friday, stated delivery next working day. App confirmed delivery would be Monday. Now I’m out all day and notification showing “out for delivery by 10pm today”.

Hope my neighbour is in!

1 Like

CosyHouse sheet sets are the cheapest I’ve ever seen them. Highly recommend these bamboo sheet, they are so soft and keep you really cool in summer, my favourite sheets by far

1 Like

That’s exactly why when I ordered I selected week day delivery :joy: knowing I wouldn’t be in. Luckily though I can just nip out for 5 minutes to deal with things. Amazon just trying there luck, must have been in area with space in van, so chuck it in and see what happened.

1 Like

Even yodel are doing 7 days + overtime at the moment… I just a couple of hours ago got notification they’re delivering an item at 5pm.

Suspect they’re all snowed under with the number of deliveries so are just doing what they can.

Good luck with your parcel :eyes::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just had an Amazon purchase delivered by Royal Mail which was supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. I didn’t even know Royal Mail delivered on a Sunday! I suppose they are trying to catch up from the industrial action, though…

1 Like

They’ve done parcels on a Sunday for ages. Nothing to do with IA.

4 Likes