Being paid every second, an experiment

Hellooo wizards of the forum. I come to ask ye a question, do you know of any projects which do something like this:

• Takes your salary and moves it all to a pot
  • Every second (maybe minute?) of the day it moves $SALARY / (60 * 24 * 7 * 4) into your current account

Basically, instead of being paid at the end of the month all in one lump sum it simulates paying you every second / minute of work you do, sort of a “get paid as you go” scheme.

It’s more of a social experiment, I watched In Time and wondered what the social aspects of being paid secondly were :thinking: and whether anyone had used the Monzo API to do this already :smiley: (it may also may a good youtube video if I can be bothered… I can just see me now, standing in the Starbucks queue waiting for my money to tick high enough so I can afford a coffee)

9 Likes

Are you setting someone up to do this then have their account suspended for overloading Monzo’s systems? :thinking:

6 Likes

Are you trying to DOS Monzo!? :joy:

7 Likes

Good question, I’m not sure to be honest. I am currently making an MVP :sweat_smile: I think once a minute is ok, whether or not the system flags me as “dodgy” is another thing…

2 Likes

My original idea was to change the pot images rapidly to display a movie in-app, however there is no public API for this so it’s not fun :frowning: (I am bored and looking for things to mess around with)

3 Likes

Does it have to be Monzo related? You sound like you’d make a good pen tester. That’ll quench your boredom! There are some services online that’ll let you have at it without causing any harm or breaking anything! :blush:

1 Like

You could do with with IFTTT and the sheets export.

I think it would be a very good way of making you understand what you spend vs what you earn.

2 Likes

If you can dilute my DD’s/SO’s/Scheduled payments to be taken every hour too (BillFlex™️), then I’ll have a go!

1 Like

There is a company that does something similar.

I need most of my salary at the beginning of the month to pay my bills off.

The trickle that remains I guess could come in every second. But then I need another £25 of it immediately to do my weekly food shop (fridge always empty by payday!).

I think I’d end up in my overdraft a lot

1 Like

I remember Jonas suggesting that we should build this functionality natively into Monzo back in 2016!

2 Likes

I have never thought about salary in those kind of terms before. And now I’ve just worked out I earn just under 9p every minute. Ugh.

1 Like

Is that good or bad? I don’t think I’ve ever looked at my minute salary.

Pre or post tax?

1 Like

Well, it’s good of course; I earn more than the average salary. But that figure is before tax.

1 Like

It’s a hell of a lot more than I earn atm :sweat_smile:. Assuming it’s been worked out on a 24/7 basis

4 Likes

I am sort of a pentester! I am a security engineer :smiley:

If you can dilute my DD’s/SO’s/Scheduled payments to be taken every hour too (BillFlex™️), then I’ll have a go!

Yes with Monzo plus, I could make a bills pots and the money ticks into them then with a virtual card you can pay for it :smiley:

I remember Jonas suggesting that we should build this functionality natively into Monzo back in 2016!

Great minds think alike! Although I can’t imagine how much strain this would put on the platform if everyone did it :grimacing:

3 Likes

Oh see I was just working out my per minute when working amount! That’s why I was confused.

I’m apparently at 9.4p roughly on average a minute if it’s my entire life

1 Like

I assume that’s how it would work, rather than only putting in during your working hours.

1 Like

Didn’t the original pulse graph have something like that? A line to 0 starting at when you paid… unless I’m misremembering.

Spending though is lumpy. Most of my bills go out at the beginning of the month with a few spread around because they couldn’t change date. Discretionary spending would tend to happen at weekends, and my spending monday-friday may well be zero (probably isn’t but it’s a lot lower).

1 Like

Great… :joy: