Being paid every second, an experiment

What’s the maths for lifeline? Like salary / 365 / 24 /60?

I worked out working hours and it was very sad. :joy:

I need a pay rise.

2 Likes

I basically just took what I earned last year, and divided it by minutes in a year.

1 Like

Yooo I suggested this genius idea as well on the extraordinary ideas board in 2017 but I got 1 like and no reply. Probably because i’m nobody and have a rambling, incoherent writing style :laughing:

Monzo Drip™ - you can have that one for free, TS.

Put money in a pot and then toggle on Monzo Drip in the pot settings, choose period of time to drip the balance and it begins moving a fraction of a penny each millisecond to the destination account. When a penny has been reached the balance ticks up 1p, so appears to be moving in real time.

Would be awesome but no idea what a monzo bank statement would look like :scream: Also, major issue would be that you need to have a month’s worth of spending in the bank, which rules out about 90%+ of people.

Why bother though?

2 Likes

I also don’t understand, so would Monzo hold onto your salary and essentially slowly pay it you throughout the month? Why would you not just want it yourself in a decent interest savings pot?

2 Likes

It sounds like a ridiculous idea.

1 Like

Not the first or last on here!

3 Likes

If people couldn’t cope with lockable pots they certainly wont be able handle fractions of a penny at at time.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth I wrote this originally because of those YouTubers like “I survived on only $1 a day” or “I survived a month paying only in bitcoin” and I though it’d make a fun experiment to survive on a constant feed of money instead of being paid in bursts :joy:

1 Like

No need to explain/excuse yourself for a dumb idea, B. It’s only a dumb idea if you look at it through dumb-tinted lenses, which most people do, because they’re dummies. Ignore them and build it!

“First Principles!”, as the great Mondo legend Jonas T would say, “First Principles!”

Who decided everyone should get paid every 2,628,000 seconds?
Don’t know.
Was it any of us?
No.
Is that the best frequency?
No.
Then we must build Monzo Drip, and get paid every second of our lives!

Let’s do this!! :rocket: :rocket: :rocket:

(just kidding)

1 Like

Monthly is good for me.

I hate weekly.

I’d take a mix of the two, monthly sum for bills, weekly sum for spends.

As a weekly paid contractor it makes me stressed.

1 Like

I tried weekly pay for a while and it was terrible.

Not only are most bills monthly so you have the hassle of working out how much you need to save. I also wasted so much money because I thought “I get paid again next week” which also impacted this.

3 Likes

100% this.

If I have a casually more expensive week I have to reassess the remainder 3 weeks budget.

For someone financially anxious it really doesn’t work. Been promised a contract for a few month for perm but nada :melting_face:

Ignoring ALL the many problematic factors of why this wouldn’t work, varying from being hit by a bus in June to wanting a pay rise in October … how do I work out the opposite of this and just get paid my salary for the year in one lump sum on January first?

1 Like

If you get paid exactly the same, a scheduled payment to a pot for payday and then one back for that amount *12 on 1/1?

It might be a rough year to get that pot ready but your theory definitely works out

Another one…

I allow myself about £450 a month for “spends”, basically nothing essential.

If I work 40hrs a week, for 4 weeks, that’s 160 hours. I actually earn to £2.80 an hour to spend. So when I look at something more expensive and use the classic way of looking at it as how many hours I need to work to earn that, and say “Ahh, that’s only two hours of work” to buy that thing but in reality that Five Guys is more than a day at work!

If(day=“Workday”,pot+£2.80*8,“”)

:scream: no way I’d work for £2.80ph :grimacing:

1 Like

Obvs!

That’s the £ amount of a % of my hourly rate that I spend frivolously.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get out of bed for less than $10K a day.