Be part of our cashback pilot 🎉

Hey everyone :wave:, I wanted to slide into this post and (re) introduce myself! I’m Veronique, most people call me V and I’m Head of Rewards here at Monzo. I joined about 6 months ago. Some of you may have seen me in other threads in my previous life as one of the Flux co-founders. It’s been full circle for me and it’s been really lovely to go from working with the amazing people here, as an external partner, to now being one of the team.

I’m really grateful for all the engagement and feedback so far. It’s really helped us think through changes and continually improve, leading up to today’s update! We are getting ready to introduce our first aggregator partner, as part of plans to scale. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

That aggregator is called Reward. (Aggregators, for those who don’t know, are platforms that find discounts and deals directly from merchants, so we can offer them to you.)

As part of that prep, if you’re using cashback, you’ll see an email from us today explaining updates we’ve made to our cashback Ts&Cs. We know from the pilot that understanding how we share data with partners is very important to you – so we wanted to come on and explain the changes. Here’s a summary:

• What hasn’t changed:

• We ‘de-identify’ your info so our partners won’t learn your name and full address, or any personally identifiable data
    • We may share your age bracket
    • We’ll share around a year’s worth of your Monzo spending history (physical or virtual cards) and your ongoing data so our partners can tailor offers to you
    • Our partners won’t use your info for their marketing or share it with third parties who aren’t involved in cashback
    • You can opt out at any time and we’ll stop sharing your info straight away
  • What’s new:

• We will share the first half of your postcode to deliver offers that aren’t in a different city
    • If a merchant needs to audit or check which of their transactions from Monzo qualify for cashback, we’ll share the last 4 digits of your card number and Monzo’s bank identification number (which is the same for all Monzo customers).
    • We’ll also be introducing new aggregators over the next months and as a result we need to change how we describe data deletion when you opt out. If you opt out we will stop sharing your data immediately. But similar to other cashback programmes, partners will have the right to retain data to meet their auditing requirements. Your data still can’t be used for marketing or shared with third parties who aren’t involved in cashback

Most importantly, we strongly believe in giving you control and choice. That’s why we’ve deliberately built cashback differently to other programmes, by allowing you to opt in and opt out. We felt like this was the best way to help merchants generate better offers, while also giving you choice.

In addition to the above, there’s a few other changes that are useful to know:

• Cashback will arrive typically within 3-4 days, but can take up to 35 days in some cases (although you’ll always be notified right away of cashback). A very small number of you are in a version where cashback arrives instantly (including those who signed up using the form we posted in the community). We won’t be changing this for you, but we’ll let you know in the future if we do.
  • If you’re missing cashback, you’ll have 60 days to tell us from when you made the purchase. (Separately, we just launched a new flow yesterday that makes it easy for you to do this straight from the app – some of you have caught it already :slightly_smiling_face:)
  • If you get a refund where you’ve earned cashback, we’ll withdraw it from your cashback, personal current account or arranged overdraft (in that order).
  • We’re making it clearer that cashback earned on your card in a joint account will go into your own cashback.

Please let us know if you have any feedback, and we’re looking forward to making this more broadly available! :tada:

26 Likes