Bank Transfer - Is It Secure?

Say im selling stuff on gumtree, is it secure to give someone my sort code and account number to pay me ?
Surely they could set up a direct debit with my details ?

Thanks

Ask Jeremy Clarkson :joy:

1 Like

Source for the post above :slight_smile:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

Yeah, but I’d argue that challenger bank account holders have an advantage here, as they usually get a push notification once a direct debit is set up.

And the direct debit guarantee covers you incase you didn’t notice it prior to your account being debited.

2 Likes

Technically you’re protected by the direct debit guarantee so I’d say it’s secure.

2 Likes

It’s absolutely secure :slight_smile: your money would be refunded if it were to be taken without your permission - I wasn’t weighing in on that with my link to the article :wink:

My actual opinion on this would be to remain cautious with who you share bank details with. Despite the knowledge that I would get a push notification and be covered by the DD Guarantee, I would never post 01234567 / 04-00-04 on the forum :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A buyer on Gumtree may not be wise to the fact that bank details can be used in a malicious manner but remain cautious :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s funny that you may give someone you details to pay you. That my never wish to give you there details but as soon as you are paid by them you then have there sort code and account number.

No other bank I know would give you the details of someone who paid you.

1 Like

Depending on the value, why not use Monzo.me; that’s what I do with Facebook marketplace… saves PayPal fees

Decided i’d rather just take cash !
Least I can save it then for whenever I go to the barber, chippy or newsagents

1 Like

Be careful with cash though - my friend recently sold a playstation and decided cash was safest, but the next day found out they were very convincing fake notes. A bank transfer you can be sure is legally in your account before you hand the item over.

2 Likes

Whats the best way to tell if it’s legit or not then ?

The Bank of England have the best guides: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/counterfeit-banknotes/how-to-check-your-banknotes

I doubt you can use direct debit, you must be confusing things. Direct debits are available to companies who are sponsored by their banks to participate in the direct debit scheme.

If you are selling things on gumtree I doubt you are big enough to directly participate in the direct debit scheme. Direct Debit is where you help yourself to the money from the payer’s bank account. To do this the payer has to agree to a mandate authorising you to take the money.

I suggest if you want to be paid without giving your bank details you use Monzo.me or PayPal or similar, amount dependent.

Yes, that’s unlikely, but they could still set up a direct debit to another provider though.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.