ATM Language / Charge Message

2 cash machines in my village, 1 asks language and the other tells me my card issuer may charge.

1 day I’m going to see if I can get money out in Polish without it eating my card

:rofl::rofl::rofl: it would certainly be an interesting game!

Sainsburys cash machines do it, so annoying.

2 Likes

I do it in random languages if there is ever someone behind me

1 Like

Anyone form Monzo help with this? @hugo @tristan

Mastercard do have an active project relating to ATM screen messages, involving both Mastercard and the acquirers (operators of the cash machine networks).

While this was expected to start showing some results early this year, there has been some slippage in delivery timescales and they are now expecting to start the update in late May, and even then the acquirers will take time to update their software and rules so it will be later in the Summer/early Autumn before cardholders notice the impact of this project.

The programme requesting the acquirers to remove charging warning messages for selected BIN ranges (first 4 digits of your card) on the grounds of being fair to all issuers is being done in waves, with different BIN ranges in each wave, but I do not know what fintechs are in which wave at this point so can not give any more detailed breakdown of anticipated timescales.

If I get further information or an update I will post it.

4 Likes

Hello :slight_smile: Totally agreed this is annoying. We’re trying to fix it but it relies on ATM operators I think. Let me see if I can get someone who actually knows about this to reply…

4 Likes

@anon44204028 Ahhh glad to see its all in hand with Mastercard :slight_smile: it’s annoying but I can live with it for the rest of the year :stuck_out_tongue:

@tristan No worries! Thanks :slight_smile:

It is good if banks continue to press Mastercard though so (a) it does not slip any more, and (b) when some acquirers promptly implement it but others don’t, banks can get Mastercard to put more pressure on the slow moving firms.

1 Like

@anon44204028 has pretty much covered it but I just wanted to add that we’ve been chasing this up with Mastercard for a while now and they’ve recently confirmed that Monzo’s BIN is due to be included in a batch (requesting ATM acquirers remove this message) around the end of April.

As expected, it may take a while for the various systems to be updated to this effect but we’re making progress (albeit at a slower rate than we’re used to…) :pray:

13 Likes

Brill news! :slight_smile: Thanks for the update @bamesjerry

1 Like

As an alternate solution, would it be feasible for Monzo to join the LINK network?

Without their own network of ATMs generating transaction income it would be loss making unless they introduce a charge for UK withdrawals

2 Likes

I would love to see Monzo branded ATMs… They’d probably be really fun to use, with exorbitant amounts of Emoji…

Probably way too much money though, for not much return…

Liam

2 Likes

Disregarding initial purchase costs, with annual ongoing running costs £19K for an ATM in a bank branch and £33K for an ATM not located in a bank branch, it is far too expensive

They would also be very fast, compared to the current ATMs that take ages to do the simplest things (seriously some of them take an entire second to react to a button press, WTF).

An entire second?

You never had to deal with dial up internet did you? Then you would know the meaning of eternity. Those of us who lived through those dark days think a second is pretty quick :grin:

3 Likes

I’d be fine for waiting for network access (I know worse than dial-up, unreliable GPRS :joy:), but there’s really no excuse for local-only tasks like when you select the language on an ATM and have to wait one second for it to switch to the next screen.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a quick update on this - the Mastercard notice I mentioned here was sent out to ATM acquirers this week :tada:

They’ve given a timeline of 3 months for these changes to be rolled out so, come August, I’ll likely be making regular visits my local Sainsbury’s to check in on progress…

9 Likes

Whoop :slight_smile: every time it comes up I get confused if I’m supposed to be clicking Yes or No :joy: