ATM Language / Charge Message

People take a chill pill :wink:

Ideally from a retailer perspective you want UK Monzo cards appearing as UK MasterCard not International MasterCard as some ePOS terminal operators charge less for UK cards and more for non-UK ones!

3 Likes

Still get this message at Sainsbury’s. Is it likely to be resolved soon? I think these sort of messages would make a lot of users assume there would be a charge.

Resolution isn’t in Monzo’s gift as understand it. Worst case it would require every machine owner to push an update. That feels like it will take a while!

Unfortunately, this is for Sainsbury’s to resolve, the company that didn’t get contactless until last Christmas.

1. I just checked the application language label is correct (present in the correct place, set to English) on the Monzo card, and it is, at least on my recently-issued current account card.
  2. The fee notification is something these ATM operators always display for the MasterCard AID. It has nothing to do with BIN range, or if the card is foreign, or anything like that. Any MasterCard transaction will create this message. Most British banks are members of LINK and their debit cards have two AIDs - one of the major global networks like Visa or MasterCard, and LINK. ATMs in the UK prefer LINK and auto-select it where available. Monzo doesn’t have LINK, so the MasterCard AID gets selected and that’s a message the ATM operator shows for any MasterCard transaction.
    2a. Worth noting on its own just how inaccurate that can be - every American Express-issued card, worldwide, also has the LINK AID. These will have cash advance and possibly foreign transaction fees. Network doesn’t prove fee or lack thereof.
4 Likes

Just came on to ask the same thing about the charge warning

I only got the current account last week (direct from prepaid) do I have the ‘v2’ card?

Should do, from my understanding. As I said above, this isn’t something to worry about. It’s basically just the ATM’s very confusing way of telling you it has selected the MasterCard AID.

An update on the issue where you are seeing a warning message displayed on ATM’s alerting you to the fact that the issuer may charge you.

There is a programme in place where MasterCard are requesting that acquirers remove this message for selected BIN ranges (the first 4 digits of your card number) on the ground of it being fair to all issuers.

I have now heard that this will be done in updates in waves starting in February next year.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, very good to hear. Out of interest, is the BIN the only way for a machine to identify a card as debit? I’d assumed there was a flag somewhere regardless of the BIN (pure assumption, I know nothing of this topic).

Fantastic, though I’d point out the BIN is the first six digits :slight_smile: Seriously though, very glad to hear they’re taking this action.

They could look for the string ‘debit’ in the application label, but that’s not necessarily a guarantee either way.

1 Like

I know this is pedantic, but I also know you like these things to be ‘correct’ :wink:: I believe it is now Mastercard (lowercase ‘c’) since the rebrand with the new logo.

1 Like

It can identify from the BIN but it can also identify from other data encoded on the card

Correct, but they are doing it not on the 6 digit BIN but on BIN ‘ranges’ of the first 4 digits (i.e. nnnn XX rather than nnnn nn)

Yep. Writing MasterCard is just force of habit after all these years plus my phone dictionary and autocorrect come up with MasterCard (and they must have put it in there as I did not manually add it)

I used my CA card in an ATM in Bruges last week & it didn’t ask…it just showed in English

Which is what should happen. The language code on the chip is correct. If an ATM or terminal asks then it’s not reading the language code correctly.

2 Likes

That is bad…I much prefer a menü so I can chose which language I want to use

The EMV specification provides a language code on the card, and that should be used - simplify UX.

Now, with that said, I’m not aware of any bank that lets the cardholder set this - that would be a VERY cool feature Monzo could offer. I don’t know enough to know if it can be changed by scripting or only at card personalisation time, ideally it’d be cool if it could be changed by issuer script - set language in app (or even detect language by phone), and update the language code on the card the next time the card is used for an online, contact EMV, non-M/Chip Fast transaction.

2 Likes

Just used my card in Germany and the machine didn’t give me the warning or ask me my language. Great! :grinning:

Is there any news on this? I mean its fine but its sooooooo dam annoying! Will ATM’s ever stop asking what language I want?

Also most of them I use always say there might be a charge… this is also annoying will this be taken off too?

1 Like