ATM Language / Charge Message

I would love to see Monzo branded ATMs… They’d probably be really fun to use, with exorbitant amounts of Emoji…

Probably way too much money though, for not much return…

Liam

2 Likes

Disregarding initial purchase costs, with annual ongoing running costs £19K for an ATM in a bank branch and £33K for an ATM not located in a bank branch, it is far too expensive

They would also be very fast, compared to the current ATMs that take ages to do the simplest things (seriously some of them take an entire second to react to a button press, WTF).

An entire second?

You never had to deal with dial up internet did you? Then you would know the meaning of eternity. Those of us who lived through those dark days think a second is pretty quick :grin:

3 Likes

I’d be fine for waiting for network access (I know worse than dial-up, unreliable GPRS :joy:), but there’s really no excuse for local-only tasks like when you select the language on an ATM and have to wait one second for it to switch to the next screen.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a quick update on this - the Mastercard notice I mentioned here was sent out to ATM acquirers this week :tada:

They’ve given a timeline of 3 months for these changes to be rolled out so, come August, I’ll likely be making regular visits my local Sainsbury’s to check in on progress…

9 Likes

Whoop :slight_smile: every time it comes up I get confused if I’m supposed to be clicking Yes or No :joy:

Same here, the one near me does it (obvs) :joy_cat:

Fantastic! Thanks very much for keeping us in the loop.

looking forward to August then - holidays and no extra messages on ATM’s!

Will the update stop it forcing me into having a receipt? The only option it gives is cash with receipt but on other cards I can select cash only

3 Likes

I don’t remember ever having a receipt for a cash withdrawal.

This depends on the ATM software, the card does not control that.

It’s only for Monzo with the foreign language message. No other card gives the message or insistence I need a receipt

2 Likes

I’ve had this too with Card Machine (I think) ATMs. It maybe the ATM software, but it only forces a receipt on my Monzo card. My Nationwide debit card gets a cash only option. I think the software forces receipts for non-LINK cards for some unfathomable reason.

2 Likes

Hey, I use cash very little in the UK and avoid withdrawing where possible. However what bugs me when I withdraw cash via Monzo; is ATM’s in the UK still seem to say ‘Your bank may charge you for this transaction’ and a selection of which language you would like to use.

This was a caveat of Monzo as a prepaid card, using a foreign provider I believe.

However now that cards are on a native infrastructure using a standard current account; shouldn’t these ATM messages in the UK be a thing of the past?

2 Likes

Takes a while to get ATMs updated. Some ATM providers might only update once or twice a year.

Think this post below is the latest from :monzo:

5 Likes

I’m not sure this is quite right. The prepaid used GPS which is a UK based company. Others may know more than me, but I think it is because ATMs check the number range (the BIN) on the front of the card. If the BIN isn’t on the ATM’s list then you get the language / charge message. It’s a case of ATM owners updating their lists, which they are doing (although seemingly slowly :pensive:).

Edit - what @glasgow said! :blush:

3 Likes

Perfect thanks @glasgow, was trying to find something like that!

Interesting, thanks @Peter_G - I thought the prepaid infrastructure was utilising a German bank / banking license? I might be wrong.

1 Like

I don’t know too much about that, but I think you might be talking about Wirecard, which is indeed a German company. But I think that’s a red herring here - prepaid cards were UK issued, denominated in sterling. Someone who knows more that I do will hopefully come along soon to enlighten us both!

3 Likes