ATM Cash Withdrawal "No Fee Applied" Notification

Im aware (after searching) that Monzo does not charge for cash withdrawals, however the ATMs say ‘your card issuer may charge you for this withdrawal’… As its immediate, It would be cool if the phone notification says ‘Monzo did not charge you for this withdrawal’

If I’m honest. I don’t really see the need for this. It’s in the t’s and c’s and I like notifications to be really simple.
As regards to that message, it should go when current accounts are offered. It’s just because it’s a prepaid card

I get that message on some ATMs with a full debit card with a regular current account so it nothing to do with it being a prepay card

You do get charged if you’re using your debit card though, right?

Either way, it’s been a while since I’ve used one of these ATMs to make a withdrawal so I could be wrong here but shouldn’t you still receive the instant transaction notification - showing that you’ve only been charged the amount that you withdrew - straight away?

No. On some local machines I get the warning but no charge.

1 Like

I do. But the OP was concerned about the potential additional fees warning and felt a need for Monzo to confirm that none had been levied

I’ve never been charged a fee of any sort using either Metro, Barclay’s or Natwest machines. The only machines that would charge are those that would charge nay standard credit or debit card too for withdrawals.

I’m sorry but I don’t see the need for a secondary notification. We already receive a notification containing the amount withdrawn and in the rare event that an ATM charges the card its included in the amount charged in the notification.

1 Like

I’ve just checked with @daniel, one of the engineers at Monzo.

Just to be clear, Monzo will never charge you a fee for withdrawing money from an ATM.

Since this potential charge is being applied by the merchant (ATM), Monzo can’t be 100% sure that it won’t be applied after the initial authorisation. So a message confirming that the user hasn’t been charged could end up being incorrect.

Monzo shares as much information about the transaction as it knows, in terms of the amount, via the instant notification that you receive when you use the ATM.

1 Like

Also the way overseas ATMs are they simply put the ‘fee’ into the withdrawal amount… So I doubt Monzo has any way to know its a fee…

They see (eg) 10,200 thb to xxx.xx GBP… They dont see 10,000 thb 200 thb ATM fee to xxx.xx GBP

3 Likes