Asda Pay at Pump - Can't use Monzo?

To be honest I don’t keep on top of this stuff, just thought id throw my hat into the ring incase it was of use, as I had recalled something previously. I personally am glad they’ve dropped it!

The drop is temporary. This is where the industry is going in the medium to short term.

We support new-style Pay at Pump, including partial authorizations (so you can still buy fuel if you have less than £99).

Our own Daniel Chatfield’s article on this usually helps clear up any confusion:

I don’t know why Asda have put up signs, but I’m sure Rika will investigate!

4 Likes

I have an overdraft and my card was accepted at Asda pay at pump but my friend card without overdraft was declined. His balance was £95

:thinking:

I wonder if it’s possible Asda are ignoring the partial authorisation on all those pumps updated to take the £99.

I guess easy to test putting everything but say £50 into a pot temporarily and seeing if it rejects then moving the money back and attempting again.

I would do this but my nearest is the usual £1 auth and next day settles.

Seems weird they have most pumps doing the £1 auth and a few £99. I’m trying to find info on when they started doing this again.

@tjvr is there a deadline for pumps need to be complying with the new £99/£100 way. It feels very wishy washy when we get round to it.

Why £99? Asda Pay at Pump come through as £30 then amended to full amount few days later

Is that a q on why they decided £99 rather than £100 that’s possible under the new rules?

You’re saying it authorisation £30 and then corrected to the amount later? I haven’t heard of that :thinking:

I’m expecting @Rika to have a spreadsheet with the 8,500 petrol stations in the UK and what pumps have been updated, and those that hate Monzo, must be all kinds of models over the decades in use that work in different ways. :crossed_fingers:

I have used my Monzo card at Asda pay at the pump with no problems . Maybe it’s a local issue ?

1 Like

Yes. I used two different Asda Pay At Pumps and they pre authorise £30 with £99 fuelling limit.

I used my Monzo at an unmanned Asda station last night for a value of £60. Transaction went through fine, was originally £1 then today cleared and went up to £60. There were no “no Monzo” sticker.

How very odd.

2 Likes

£99 A few days later still isn’t compliant. Mastercard rules say they should confirm within 20 minutes.

1 Like

Like in Netherlands. €140 pre authorisation and few minutes later correct amount

1 Like

That’s why it doesn’t work though. I’ve not seen any UK bank process these things in the time frame it’s supposed to. Starling is the one that seems the fastest, it corrects the amount within a few hours normally.

1 Like

Partial authorisations are not yet well supported by fuel pumps in the UK. A few supermarkets are having real trouble rolling this out.
Monzo fully supports partial authorisations where available.

As for ASDA putting up signs again and rejecting our cards and the cards of several other small banks, we’re continuing to collect evidence and chase them up to find out exactly what’s going on. We’d like to get to the bottom of why they keep doing this. (For the record, we’re pretty easy to talk to and have open communication with many acquirers and merchants!)

5 Likes

We’re investigating to see if there’s an issue with ASDA fuel pumps again, or just this store (and even if its just this store, to get it corrected)

With regards to amounts and timeframes:

Old style pumps:

1. £1 auth immediately
  2. Final value after clearing (this will depend upon how long it takes them to submit the final value to clearing; we get clearing files delivered on all 6 of Mastercard’s daily clearing cycles)

Mastercard (and presumably Visa) don’t prohibit this behaviour but the vendor takes fraud liability so it’s in their interest to migrate.

New style pumps:

1. Up to (normally) £99 auth immediately. This should be coded as “partial approval supported”, so if you have less than £99 available in your account (including overdraft) we approve for your balance
  2. Within 20 minutes the pump is supposed to send us an update for the final value

If any pumps are:

• Being declined if you have less than their initial auth value (unless the available funds in your account are very low), or
  • Taking longer than 20 minutes to reduce their authorised amount

those are incorrect behaviours.

6 Likes

I’m going to chase this down with ASDA now and find out what’s happening here. :eyes:

I’ll contact Fleetwood first of all, are there any other stores that are doing the same thing?

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies.

Curious to know why Visa talk about £100 and MasterCard about £99 as the top end limit.

https://www.visa.co.uk/pay-with-visa/pay-at-pump.html

Is there a case where pumps are/could be set to £100 max following the Visa guidelines and MasterCard freaks out and fails to work?

Do you also report back if it’s taking longer than 20mins (Europe) / 60 mins (US) to receive the final amount to make sure they are complying?

On a fairly interesting side note when looking at fuel info that just these brands now supply 95% of the UK fuel (Nov 2018).

Hadn’t realised Tesco sold more than the old BP, Shell, Esso, shows how much supermarkets now dominate. Anyway we need to get them to put their finger out to sort out the mess.

Tesco 16%
BP 14.6%
Shell 13.7%
Esso 12.2%
Sainsburys 10.2%
Morrisons 9.8%
Asda 7.6%

Texaco 5.1%
Certas Energy 2.7%
Jet 2.2%
Applegreen 1%

1 Like

New style, old style…
There is a message on screen - Authorising 1.00 GBP. But Monzo and Starling authorise £30.
I tried Starling today…

Filled for £72

:thinking: That sounds like an issue with the pump to me, it shouldn’t be showing £1 and holding £30. Has that happened at any other Asda or just that specific one?

Did it quickly resolve to the actual £72 or still pending?