Are we all penniless millennials?!

There’s a certain amount of slippage at the boundaries, as when you’re that close to them a large factor of which generation you fall into depends on who your peers are and how your life choices have panned out, I think. For example, if you’re at the early end of the Gen Y boundary - so, 1980 - then you could be Gen X if you got through education and on the housing ladder early, say. However, taking your time to get through education, deferring buying a house, then you’re definitely millennial.

tl;dr, it’s not wrong, just complicated.

Clearly a troll account that still thinks we’re a tiny startup with a few thousand customers :wink:

Pretty hard to making any sweeping generalisations about a customer base that’s above a million people, right?

8 Likes

I’ve seen millennials described as people born between 1981 and 1997.

1 Like

I’d say if you remember using dial-up and Napster, and your phone could only call and txt (and possibly play snake) you’re a millennial.

4 Likes

Damn :see_no_evil:

It appears that the Times (Murdoch) still have it in for Monzo then.

I’d like to find out who created the term and shove a Christmas cracker where the sun doesn’t shine.

1 Like

There’s also another called Generation Alpha after Gen Z born in the last 5 years, basically born into the tech world where you have babies/toddlers knowing how to use a phone, their first car will be electric or possibly pay a subscription to share one.

You used to have broadband that relied on cables back in your day :face_with_raised_eyebrow: why didn’t you just use the 6G?

Feels old :neutral_face:

Hmm. I remember dial up, but never used Napster. My first couple of phones were Nokia bricks with snake, but I moved onto touch screen phones, and then smartphones, fairly quickly.

Jan 1998 birth. Very blurred boundary.

See, I’d say you (and anyone else born in 1997/8) are clearly post-millennial :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We had a whole thread about millennials a few months ago.

I’ve not been in my overdraft since I went Full Monzo thanks to the budgeting features!

I had it this week, ‘aren’t you a bit old to be a Monzo customer’? At which point, I slammed down my copy of Q and complained loudly.

But in all seriousness, I’d love to see the stories behind the older generations who use Monzo as their main accounts, think Tom has mentioned users in their 70’s and 80’s, and seeing those stories would start to pop some of these ‘penniless millennium’ tropes about the bank.

Well ask away…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
(From a Monzo POV, I just got bored with banks - so here I am :grinning:.)

1 Like

And I’d probably agree. I don’t much care for these labels though, and don’t identify with them.

My impression is that Monzo users (as in, full banking users) have quite a bit of expendable income.

I feel practically poor on these forums! :neutral_face::joy:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.