Apple announces new iPad, iPad Pros and Apple TV 4K

I agree. Also for those who only use a tablet for consumption. As someone in this category, I’m not sure I’ll buy another iPad if £499 becomes the new normal for latest entry level iPad.

1 Like

I didn’t realise they were so cheap at £329!

1 Like

I missed an apple event? iPads look great, getting expensive for entry level now but.

1 Like

Not to the vast majority of people.

I genuinely just don’t get Apple TV. I’m happy willing to pay the Apple premium for many things, but I just don’t see what I’m getting for it in this case.

2 Likes

The Fire stick is cheap and does the job that most people would want it to. There’s all the major apps and they all work well. I have no intention of paying more money for Apple TV because for me, it would be a complete and utter waste of money compared to the competition.

1 Like

I bought an Apple TV HD a few months back, had a fire stick before, the Apple TV is way better, remote is so smooth, makes a normal tv remote seem like a brick. Now whether it is worth the money, I’m not so sure but if your in the apple ecosystem it just makes everything so simple.

1 Like

I am in the Apple ecosystem, and I don’t get how Apple TV makes it all so simple.

Snobs love to lol at the paid advertising, but for my money no UI matches the sheer speed and simplicity of having dedicated Prime / Netflix / Disney buttons on the Fire Stick remote.

Once you’re in a streaming app, every device is ultimately the same.

2 Likes

I was upgrading from an early model firestick, which had got slow and our Toshiba tv remote although new enough is slow and unresponsive, (you would think the batteries always need changing) my wife was ready to throw it out most evenings. To me it adds to apple ecosystem as you have all your photos and music available, plus my boys like using their xbox controller for Apple Arcade games. Yes it was expensive but should last years and no more batteries, just charge remote, which lasts ages.

2 Likes

I’ll try in the morning, in town for work tomorrow

1 Like

Mines a few years old and slow af. Thankfully Google TV is here :heart: would recommend over anything.

1 Like

No thanks :laughing:

5 Likes

Really disappointed with the iPad Pro, especially the 11 inch. No new screen, doesn’t have the new landscape front camera which the cheaper one has got, doesn’t get the new improved Magic Keyboard. I was ready to buy, but will stay with my current one. Oh and a huge price rise in the UK.

The iPad line now is a peculiar and confusing mess.

A swing and a miss this time around.

2 Likes

Ours is plugged in and not used as it doesn’t support our soundbar, so the remote cant control volume.

Google just don’t care enough to put in the effort. And it’s not just our particular soundbar, the number of devices the Fire Stick supports over Google TV is crazy.

I could live with it but it fails the wife test of just working.

Feels like Google all over, release something promising and then lose interest and not keep going with the constant updates and iteration.

That’s why I’m slowly moving from their home devices to Amazon’s. They just give more of a shit.

4 Likes

Ah our sound bar was cheap and we are fine using 2/3 remotes to work it all.

No fun explaining to guests though :joy:

1 Like

Actually, the starting price used to be £319!
I made a mistake earlier saying it was £329.

Have been thinking more about the price bump from iPad 9 to iPad 10.
I think a lot of it may be to do with the lack of meaningful competition for the entry level iPad.

There’s nothing in Android land in the £300 to £400 price range that has guaranteed 4-5 years of updates and secure biometrics. For me, this combination of features and price is what made the iPad 9 (and earlier entry-level iPads) such a compelling buy. Apple probably recognises the lack of competition and figures it can get away with whacking another £100 or so on the price tag of iPad 10.

Will be interesting to see if the upcoming Google Pixel tablet can provide effective competition.

There are plenty of Fire tablets at the £100ish and under mark.

I wouldn’t use one as a paperweight but (if they didn’t already have iPads) I’d be seriously considering them for the kids.

They may be cheap tat, but they play streaming video and kids game more than well enough.

1 Like

This is the sort of thing that Jobs would have had on a slide and took the piss out of in years gone by.

5 Likes

If you’ve got Apple TV 4K (2021) then the only difference is a faster chip (A12 vs A15). However, with the ‘workload’ of the Apple TV, and the lack of any developer really taking it seriously as a gaming console, there’s not really anything in the tvOS ecosystem that’ll need that power.

The 2021 version already supports Thread and Matter (when that launches next month) for Home automation stuff.

The main difference is replacing the older Apple TV HD with the new Apple TV 4K wifi-only box which is roughly the same price as the Apple TV HD box was.

2 Likes

One rumour is the new one may support TrueHD but no one knows until its in the hands of folks.

Yeah there are lots of cheap options for Android tablets (which are good for kids tablets), but what I think they all lack (at least those priced up to iPad 9 price) is guaranteed updates for 4-5 years and secure biometrics.