[Android] Monzo crashes immediately upon opening

Non rooted, no custom ROMS, google play is working as expected

The phone is box standard - nothing special, no rooting or anything like that - just the software versions I listed in the first post.

I use Google Pay for payments with no issues.

I’m suspecting your camera issue may need resolving, to eliminate that from further diagnosis.

Just tried to directly open the camera and that fails too - seems odd that the monzo app is limited by a camera though… but that must be it

1 Like

The camera on my phone works with no problem and no other app has an issue with using the camera. Not sure why there are errors in the log due to the camera though…

Update: I tried again and this time the app opened. I haven’t made any changes between when I last tried to open it and it didn’t work and now when it did… So I don’t know what’s going on here.

The only difference I can think of is that this time I was on my LTE connection rather than WiFi (I have already tried it on three different WiFi networks and it crashed in all cases).

1 Like

Getting the same issue here! have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, uninstalling, restarting and reinstalling, data and wifi connections, clearing cache and data.

Am on the Razer Phone 1, updated to Android 9 the other day, could be related.

Need to make some payments fairly urgently and don’t have another device to do this on annoyingly.

Not sure about the issue, but you may be able to do what you need to on their web page - http://web.monzo.com

Edit: Maybe not, it only lists the below functions

• See your list of accounts
  • See your transactions
  • Freeze and unfreeze your card
  • See your account balance

Android had a big ish update last night.

Maybe check you are on the latest version in your phone settings?

Complete theory, but you never know… Switch on airplane mode to kill all transmitters, then switch it off, let WiFi/Bluetooth/Mobile wake up and then retry - does this make any difference?

I found the issue in my case! I looked into the exception being thrown and it refers to to enabling the camera shutter sound. So it turns out if your phone is set to do not disturb or silent this throws an exception and breaks the app. Hopefully this will help you guys too :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks for this - it certainly helps to zoom in on the possible causes of the fundamental crashing issue.

100 upvotes for you, if I could, this worked for me and I can pay my rent :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This solves it for me too, thanks for sharing!

Just wanted to say thank you, had this issue last night and then found this thread this morning. This solved my problem.

1 Like

Why has this gone unfixed for 2 months?

1 Like

I’m curious about who could fix this?

It’s currently hardware/settings issue(s) across multiple platforms & OS’s. Yes - the response will be “but Monzo should detect the error and warn” but there are so many variables involved that the current software platform can’t trap every one at this stage. In the future, software will (hopefully) deal with these issues but in the meantime, if the pattern faults are found and made public then there’s a reference to fall back on. Like;

I don’t see an issue? Monzo should stop making the camera being enabled a requirement to open the app. If they need it for a specific instance, then ask for permission to enable it at that stage. That’ll stop people being unable to open their banking app for something as innocent as being on silent mode, which is plain ridiculous.

Until then, 2 posts above will help the majority of new users (who are unaware of the current issues/limitations/pitfalls) to get on-board at this stage if they experience issues.

If we’re all helpful while recognising what limits we’re currently working with, it’ll instil improvement as a side-effect.

Having just updated my (Razer) phone with the latest patches available, it looks like the issue is resolved. I’m not sure this is actually Monzo’s fault, I’d sooner point my finger at shoddy OS releases but I’m not an Android engineer :man_shrugging:

1 Like