Why would a bank providing customer services be a ‘hassle’ to Monzo? It’s not a person, it’s a business that is supposed to serve it’s customers.
Who said I was speaking on behalf of Monzo?
I’m merely pointing out the fact that there are too many people who waste time using tools and resources irresponsibly which subsequently has an impact on the business being able to provide customer service to its fullest.
Just because it’s a business doesn’t mean it’s not the people (both the staff and the customers) who make it what it is. I personally think too many of us expect everything to be handed on a plate as and when we please, even if we’re the ones who make the mistake.
It was almost certainly unsustainable for such a rapidly growing bank to manually service requests like that. I’m sure ‘mis-use’ has had a significant effect, but even so, it’s unlikely Monzo would have kept it going indefinitely. They’d have got to the point they’d need permanent staff just sat there unlocking pots.
And let’s not get too angry at everyone who unlocked pots to cause Monzo to remove the manual support - nobody knows the situations that caused them to do that. There are plenty of people who live very close to the line and and could be using locked pots in a desperate attempt to put something aside but life keeps beating them and chucking unexpected costs in their path. It’s very easy to judge how you think people should behave based on your own experiences and practices, but reality is rarely like that.
I agree that there needs to be a bit more friction to unlock pots than there currently is, but I understand why Monzo have changed it from manual unlocking, and I can empathise with anybody who found themselves having to regularly unlock pots.