Making Monzo: Locked Pots

Lock money away in a pot for a set amount of time to help you save!

Check here for progress updates as they happen! Follow along on Twitter or in the app, in your Help screen :grinning:

27 Likes

Are there any benefits to locking it away for a long time period such as a higher interest rate?

4 Likes

This is a great idea. When can we expect this?

Locked Pots are more about putting some friction in place to make it more difficult to impulsively withdraw money from a Pot; so youā€™d need to contact customer support if you wanted to withdraw it instantly, which could be enough friction to make you decide you donā€™t want to withdraw it after all - ultimately helping you save :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Ok, I can understand how that would be helpful to some people. However, how much friction will there be if you wanted to withdraw money? Its easy to get in touch with monzo via in app chat, they should reply quickly (hopefully in the near future), and I canā€™t imagine customer services really pushing back too much if a customer was asking to withdraw some money. Would it be as simple as messaging and saying ā€œplease unlock the fixed potā€ and then customer services unlock it?

It would! Weā€™d never make it difficult for you to withdraw your own money from a Pot.

But weā€™d hope that the act of needing to contact support in the first place would provide just enough positive friction to stop you from withdrawing money on a whim, and ultimately help you save :+1:

I should caveat though, this is a peek at an in-development idea, so itā€™s totally possible that the final thing might be a bit different in how it looks/works!

13 Likes

This would be amazing for me!!!

Especially on nights outā€¦

1 Like

This is a nice idea, but having to get CS to unlock it may be a sticking point.

It is taking up to a day for CS to respond at the moment due to their workload, wouldnā€™t this just add to it and make it worse?

7 Likes

Great! This has been requested alot on the forum.

Glad to see its being worked on and dare i say it near ready :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This would be amazing! Iā€™m bad with saving so this would be really helpful!!

I really like the idea but unless CS was working to near real-time response Iā€™d be concerned about using it in case of an emergency

14 Likes

I think this is a cool idea for those who genuinely struggle to put savings away and not just keep dipping in!

The CS concerns are a valid one and I think itā€™s all about balancing the access times to intentional friction. If CS took 1 minute to unlock my pot then I honestly wouldnā€™t see too much value in this feature?

Just typing ā€œHey, please unlock my pot as I need access to the fundsā€ and having to wait 10 minutes is not here nor there for me really.

Itā€™s whether they do something like gambling lock or invest pots where youā€™re forced to wait 24 hours after making the request. (Correct me if Iā€™m wrong on that)

I would also add that please never lock all your funds away, things happens.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not something Iā€™d ever use - But Iā€™ve seen countless people mention about adding more ā€œfrictionā€ to their savingsā€¦

So Kudos for giving them the option :smiley:

5 Likes

It would be good if they could automate this.

As in if you say a certain preallowed phrase in the chat window it kicks off an autosys job or something that will automatically unlock your pot, that way it saves the cops time and the users time

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure youā€™d get away with saying this in publicā€¦

ā€œHey Siriā€¦ Lock away my Potā€¦ā€ :joy:

9 Likes

I can understand the positive friction element of Locked Pots but would be wary of increasing Customer Service workload. Perhaps there could be a 24 hour delay countdown timer each time a Locked Pot withdrawal was attempted? This could be cancelled anytime during the 24 hour period, and bypassed altogether by contacting CS. For me, 24 hours would be enough time to put a stop to any whimsical purchases.

15 Likes

Really looking forward to this, will help putting money aside for next Christmas :christmas_tree:

Like the idea of 24 hours unless you contact, best of both worlds

6 Likes

Interesting idea! The current CS response time would be my only concern though.

2 Likes

This was my thought.

I would hope with the new Monzo chat that they can implement an AI chatbot that would do this without a COP actually needing to deal with it

4 Likes

I wonder if weā€™ll see auto-locking pots for fixed-term savings products when the marketplace rolls outā€¦

5 Likes