Algbra discussion

This it the point. They really should be more clear (EMIs generally) on this point.

1 Like

It really should, but I guess wording and choice of what to make very clear etc can impact confidence.

Surprisingly though. I do see many people through work who have revolut accounts, no specific age demographic either. Many elderly folk for sure.

1 Like

Is that because they feel Revolut are too big to fail now? Or the size of the organisation engenders an element of trust?

The customers I deal with at work (a high street bank, fraud) are generally happy with Revolut.

Generally older folk are more inclined to stick with a high street bank cuz FSCS or ease of service, but it is enlightening to see those who frequent revolut.

1 Like

Terribly worded. If you didn’t know better then you’d think you’re getting better protection by not being a bank, which is far from the case.

4 Likes

I completely agree. If I didn’t know better I would think great, I can stick £100k in there and it’d all be safe. Revolut are similar, as I imagine a lot of other EMIs.

On a seperate note, I’ve got it as a “backup” for an upcoming holiday, but also because unless chase opens its doors this is for me the right mix of fintech and simplicity. They are starting to work on some new features, and If I hear back I’ll let folks know here on progress.

Well to some degree they aren’t wrong - you could have 100k with a bank and lose the excess and 100k with an EMI and lose some to the administrators. Whether it’s more or less than that differential is of course a rather unknown quantity.

1 Like

I personally think there is a difference. You know for sure 85k is protected. You have no such guarantee with any administrators.

Also EIM’s can’t lend or use the money for investment. So I can’t understand why any financial organisation would want to stay in that position any longer than they have to.

2 Likes

Yes true - they’re using the sum of 100k to further their own representation but it is of course quite risky to keep over 85k with one bank for a prolonged period of time. The amount you could stand to lose is a clearly stated sum. With an EMI the administration risk (totally different risk) applies to all values and is pretty unquantified.

1 Like

Exactly, which is why I feel the statement that Algbra made regarding the security of your money is potentially misleading.

I appreciate everyone’s individual risk appetite is different but they should be clearer.

1 Like

Hey - did anyone else get any strange emails from Algbra today saying that their card had been removed from Apple Pay? I got sent two of them - although the card itself is still setup in Apple Pay and I’ve used it since then so it still seems to be working ok.

1 Like

Nope, nothing here. I don’t have mine in Apple Pay though.

1 Like

I did! But I had just removed it so I presumed that it was because of that.

Just used Algbra as the backup card abroad. It’s been great. Worked without issue and the feedback I’ve sent has been picked up straight away.

A great experience. I think if they start offering connection into budgeting tools then it might become the day to share spender.

1 Like

I don’t want to tempt fate but the cashback delay issues seem to have been sorted now. Cashback is coming through reasonably quickly now. Still not as quick as Chase but the ‘delay’ is not sufficiently long to be an inconvenience.

2 Likes

Signed up on Friday pretty average experience so far - they messaged me asked for information about my employment which I provided (including the requested wage slip) they then seemingly didn’t get round to replying or even acknowledging that they had logged off for the weekend. The chat that they asked this via has also disappeared from the chat section. Not particularly impressed so far but let’s see.

4 Likes

One of the reasons I binned them off, chat was unreliable and often took days to respond. That was early days though, not sure how it changed. Just like in the past with Chase I don’t think their 1.5% cashback offsets the headache of dealing with them (for now)

It’s better but still very startup like, unlike Monzo they do at least read your replies and respond with good detail. I messaged them a few times last week while on holiday and got a response within a few hours

1 Like

It opened up over the weekend. I have done the steps for the £5 referral but the 4th step of spending £15 doesn’t seem to have registered

I used the virtual card via curve. I wonder whether it needs to be the card you’re having delivered and/or it needs to be a settled payment (bit like Monese)?

Revolut referrals need their transactions to settle so likely this.