Activation Text Not Arriving - Android

Hiya, sent an email yesterday and a message on twitter today but haven’t heard anything. Waiting with bated breath

Hi Nic :wave: and anyone else having this problem.

Quick background: the one-time code to link a mobile phone number to the Monzo app is delivered via SMS and is valid for 10 minutes. Texts are handled by Twilio and are generally sent out and received almost instantly.

In a very small number of cases, for various reasons, text messages to certain numbers fail or don’t get delivered :no_entry_sign:

We will probably implement an automated voice call at some point to handle these (it’s something we’ve made available when PIN reminders don’t get delivered, for example).

In the meantime, we are doing it old school :floppy_disk:: we’ll arrange with you a suitable time to receive a phone call, then ask you to request a new verification code, and give it to you over the phone before it expires.

To get to this stage, the easiest would be to write to help@monzo.com with something like:

I am trying to register my phone number +44 xxxx xx xx xx but I don’t receive the verification code.
Could you please help by arranging a time for a phone call?
The email address I use with Monzo is: xxx@xxx.xxx
My date of birth is: xx/xx/xx

Sprinkle everything with emojis for our solace :sweat_smile:.

You can also DM on Twitter, or send a Facebook private message.
Or call the support line: 0800 8021 456

Some things to keep in mind:

• Worth switching off phone, remove and replace SIM, and switch back on after a first failed attempt at receiving the activation SMS. It might have been just a network issue :satellite:
  • Double check: do you have mobile signal?
  • Make sure the phone number you are trying to register is not already associated to any other Monzo account (you’ll get a notification if so, anyway).
  • International numbers are accepted, so if one particular UK number doesn’t work, the even quicker way is probably to try and verify an alternative (mobile) number.

Hope it helps!

4 Likes