Account suspended and closed

What does frozen mean? And how long to resolve?

Have a feeling I know what it is but can’t get hold. Took a few business payments for orders recently on personal account as not at shop with card machine. Got five figures sat in there for a few years.

Means your account is under investigation essentially. No details can be given to you if that’s the case.

2 weeks mate

maybe Monzo “object” to you using your current account for " a few" business payments and has flagged it as unusual payments into and out of your account warranting investigation for money laundering - not that Im suggesting you are ?

without knowing how many “a few” are, and of what value :man_shrugging:

Can you login to web.monzo.com and see your details?

Is your card frozen there? Do the amounts look OK?

*Web portal only works if you’ve used the app in the last 90 days)

Using your private account for business transactions might be aginst monzo t and c and might lead to account closure

1 Like

I never knew that :open_mouth:

Monzo does have a free business account you could set up. Might stop this happening in the future.

I imagine it was flagged as a suspicious payment. Have you tried ringing the number on the back of your card?

1 Like

It’s probably a security time-out or regulatory requirement.

I wonder what contributes to it, probably the last access to the servers?

That’s not something I can even consider testing :wink:

1 Like

Just managed to get on phone. Stating frozen no explanation…

Yes maybe it’s deemed that way but they were payments, I do pay my taxes etc. I understand it all just not sure where that leaves me.

I get it. They think.im a criminal. Will wait it out and somehow access finance and another bank in meantime. To be honest I’ve had source of funds questioned before but this is extreme and I’m left with no access to savings. Do understand just leaves me a bit fu**ed.

Little else I can do it seems and they won’t explain much more :). Seems this is not.uncommon now I am researching.

1 Like

Lol. To be honest, I hope so. Might see my money again then :grin:

Probably. Two payments under £250 in total. Less than 1% of total account balance. So it is. Will leave them to it and if it takes too long act accordingly. Little else I can do in the middle of a world crisis as it’s hard enough keeping on top already. Another day, another problem…haha…

2 Likes

good luck , sorry its caused you so much hassle

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the very quick help here!

Do appreciate it.

5 Likes

Update two weeks later.

Monzo had blocked my number and were not responding. Despite me explaining I wasn’t sure what was going on. So number blocked, number one. After saying they’re sending my money back to source whatever that ever meant they’re now sending back to me after two weeks and closing account. Makes no sense. Been treated like dirt, ignored, even made to feel like a criminal to just have account closed. Also have Monzo shares 'll be donating once they give my money back. Worst experience ever tbh. Won’t be back. Never ever heard of a criminal having money returned after an investigation. Just the way they handled it and accused me of being abusive because I sought an update etc.

Looks like Monzo is just closing accounts. Let us not pretend lol. Did nothing wrong - here we are.

Hoping I don’t have to wait forever to get this money back now either as I explained before it wasn’t that small a numbet*.

It’s against terms and conditions to use it as a business account, which is probably why they closed it

Monzo shares cant be donated as ownership can’t be transferred at this stage

They haven’t specified so how would you know? I’ve had transactions similiar. And they are refunding to me not the source so please don’t be a smart arse first thing in the morning for no reason.

Actually, they can be on permission of Monzo and can also be returned back to the company (hence a donation.

Enjoy your day!

Having spoken to a lawyer in the interim, it is more likely they closed it as when opened had no full banking license and I wouldn’t have been eligible. Now having done complicance years later caught up - they would close.

I’m not a complete idiot - just not the most familiar with UK banking. Which is more likely the reason it was closed given how it’s been handled - as specified by a financial lawyer.

Do let me know if you have any more insights as to why Monzo may have done something given no one actually knows.

Eligible for what? They had an e-money license at the time which is what they legally needed to offer accounts and the only eligibility criteria then (and now) is being a uk resident

If it was fraud they’d return to source but they’ve refunded to you which means it’s not fraud or it’s fraud they suspect but couldn’t prove. I’m sorry that I offended you by saying it was probably due to the business account use. I don’t know which was why I said probably. It equally might be suspicious activity or being abusive to COps

3 Likes

Monzo don’t block specific numbers:

Tipping off legislation means they legally can’t tell you anything, meaning that the lack of response until any investigation has been completed isn’t necessarily their fault.

The lawyer is guessing and likely has little more insight into Monzo’s thinking than any of us on the forum, though I grant they’ll have more visibility of your circumstances. I’m not aware of there being dramatic changes in Monzo’s ‘Know Your Customer’ checks that would lead to compliance gaps.

Only Monzo could give you that information, anyone else - us here or the lawyer you spoke to - would only be guessing. I’m sorry to hear your account was closed, and regret that the law leads to it unlikely ever being clear why these decisions are made.

3 Likes