A transfer has been made to my account that I do not recognize

You don’t need to verify anything, just follow the steps. Monzo are not going to do any of those extra steps because they are not required if you’re using the app.

If you’re using a translate function here, do that in the app too. Just copy and paste.

All you have to do is this:

No need for verification or anything. Monzo will then look into it for you.

1 Like

Find the transfer you believe to be fraudulent, tap into it, scroll to the bottom and tap ‘something wrong, get help’ - then follow the prompts

I did it yesterday

Then all you have to do is wait for them to investigate. It won’t be instant and I wouldn’t expect an answer in less than a day :slight_smile:

You will get a notification in app when they message you back with their findings.

OK, I hope so, I’m distressed about it

Ok

That’s understandable :slight_smile: Any money that has been taken fraudulently you will be reimbursed for.

It just takes time for them to check everything out. Sometimes they need to wait and hear from the bank the money was sent to as well so it could be out of their hands for a little while.

That being said, Monzo could do better at explaining the process and managing expectations.

Was it money received in error or a transfer out that is in error, though?

1 Like

Might be helpful just sticking to the one post so that everyone is clear on what’s been discussed already.

If it’s reported in app then await Monzo to reply to you in chat.

It’s an outgoing payment to British gas - see here:

Looks like they wanted £204.42 but there was only £179.46 in the account.

This is one of those one-issue-split-across-more-than-one-topic cases.

1 Like

It was a transfer that left my account but I didn’t do it, these 4 movements were not made by me

20210411_183743|516x500

It’s two isn’t it? They took £179.46 and then went back for more?

Yes

Possibly. Not having the funds to make a payment hasn’t happened to me so I’m not 100% on how it occurs. Does it show the total requested (in red, £204.42) to be taken and takes what is available (£179.46, so £24.96 still owed), or does it take what’s available and then show what is still outstanding (so £383.88 requested but only £179.46 available, so £204.42 outstanding)?

If it is really 2 payments then I’d be suspicious that one of them was exactly enough to empty the account so the second one wouldn’t go through?

Not enough surrounding data so far…

Have you spoken to British Gas to find out why?

No, I didn’t speak to a British gas.

I don’t know who handled the case, whether it was British gas or Monzo but the money went back to the right place.

2 Likes

I’m glad it has been resolved.

In the future contacting British Gas should be your first port of call, not Monzo (or any bank). They were obviously under the impression that you owed this money and if it was a mistake, they need to refund it.

Monzo always advise that you try and resolve the matter with the merchant first and foremost. This is always far quicker too because it can take months and months going through a bank.

Thank you all for your support and strength, I felt heard :+1:

3 Likes

Ok, thanks for the advice, I didn’t know what to do, I was out of control

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.