£400+ ringfenced in single transaction at French fuel station

Yesterday I tried to get fuel at a gazole pump in France. It was declined because I didn’t have £452 in the account but froze the £431 that was there. No fuel…and no way of withdrawing cash either. I realise that this isn’t Monzo’s fault but nobody has replied to my request for help in the app so thought I should warn/remind other users. It’s a whacking big preauthorisation and I have no idea how long it will take to resolve.

2 Likes

Have you tried to reverse the transaction from within the app yourself?

You can do this by selecting the transaction and at the very bottom is a link that’s says something wrong and then questiin this payment. You may have an option to reverse the transaction if the retailer hasn’t claimed the money.

Thank you, great idea, but sadly it just says payment will be reversed in 30 days. 30!

Fortunately I’d kept the receipt saying that the transaction had been declined so the Monzo team were able to accelerate the refund and it’s all sorted now. Hooray. Will use a credit card to pay at pump in future!

6 Likes

Has somebody from chat responded to you yet? They should be able to reverse this for you.

Yes, thank you…all sorted now I’m relieved to say.

1 Like

Hi,
I had the exact same issue at a fuel pump near Paris last week. Transaction declined (I also kept the receipt), but €150 were taken off my Monzo account!!
It’s been 9 days now and my account looks like it’s overdraft.
How did you contact the Monzo team to get your money back?
Thank you so much for your advice.

Monzo cannot do anything until the 30 days has passed, but at 30 days you’ll get the money back.

1 Like

Thank you so much for letting me know. This is very helpful!!
Will wait and hope that the money will get refunded after 30 days then.
Thanks again

1 Like

According to the OP’s description, Monzo were able to reverse it within a day, as the OP showed them the receipt confirming the declined transaction, so maybe @Stom23 can try the same?

1 Like

Please do get in touch via chat and explain what’s happened, if there’s enough evidence to say the merchant won’t collect the funds, either an email conversation, or live chat, and/or a receipt saying it was declined, monzo can sometimes release the pending authorisation.

Sometimes being key word here :pray:

2 Likes