3DSecure Fails on Coinbase

Just tried to use my Monzo card to purchase some Bitcoin on Coinbase and had it fail as 3DSecure isn’t supported.

Mondo cards don’t support 3D Secure. This isn’t a bug - arguably a feature really…

1 Like

or Monzo cards either :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully the planned Debit card will support MasterCard SecureCode.

Hopefully it can be turned off if so…

1 Like

Richard confirmed yesterday - in a roundabout way - that this is in the works:

Just out of interest, what’s the issue with 3D secure?

For Mondo, it probably won’t be that bad, because they’ll implement it in a way which isn’t too terrible.

For most banks though, it’s such a pain to use. The UX is awful, and it is a bit of a phishing nightmare.

From a merchant’s perspective, we do actually use it, but I do still hate it.

1 Like

is there a work-around this issue. its seems chat app is swamped at the mo…

What issue?

3D Secure still isn’t supported if that’s what you’re asking and you can’t work around something that doesn’t exist.

not to worry, the matter is resolved. a bit crap.

out of curiousity, (for users of coinbase who are on the preview current account) has 3D secure worked when executing a transaction?

I just tried to use Coinbase on my Preview Current Account and it didn’t work :frowning:

thats not good wasnt the current account supposed to address the 3DSecure situation?

1 Like

Did you ever sort this out? I’m struggling too…!

i used a different card for the transaction. maybe @simonb or one of the monzo players can shed some light on this for CA users.

Our CA Alpha Preview doesn’t have 3DSecure (or SecureCode as the Mastercard implementation is known) I’m afraid.

We are definitely building it though, for the full current account!

I don’t have an ETA for it unfortunately but I do know it’s something being worked on heavily at the moment.

Interestingly, MasterCard are launching version 2.0 of SecureCode next year, which should allow us to provide a much better flow experience (1.0 is quite limited unfortunately) but we are working on our 1.0 implementation at the moment.

6 Likes

Just to tack on here, I just tried with my CA debit card and Coinbase couldn’t authorise the payment because the card lacked 3Dsecure. I assumed we’re out of the BETA for current accounts now, though?

Unfortunately, it’s still not available; Here are a couple of responses from Monzo staff.

1 Like

Thanks Ali, makes it a bit clearer. I’m starting to really dislike those moments where my legacy bank ‘wins’ against Monzo haha

MasterCard 3D Secure discussion continues in the thread linked above: