Your Bank is being used by fraudsters

This i think is incredibly important: upon reflection none of what is reported seems unique to me. This is bog standard fraud, as it happens every day, with lots of banks. Just use your favourite search engine and you’ll find hundreds of reports. At 500 k users, it would actually surprise me more, if Monzo didn’t have fraudsters among their customers.

5 Likes

I don’t understand where this is coming from, I’m guessing there are 10’s of thousands of people running scams like this across high-street banks.

Normally fraudsters pray on skint / low wage customers regardless of what banks to say “Ok we will get 5k paid into your account and you pass it onto us, you get to keep £500”. It’s very likely the account wasn’t even owned by a Scottish woman.

1 Like

It sounds like this person has provided some information, made a point about how this appears to them, had some good feedback and insight given from forum members and staff, and finally responded why this does not change their opinion of a situation.

It seems like, other than over DM with staff, nothing more can be said to change their opinion at this time.

It seems to me like general talk around this subject is fine, but trying to convince the first poster that their opinion should be changed would now just go around in circles.

If they are genuine, then this is just tiring and non-welcoming for them, and if they are trolling, it is giving them what they want.

5 Likes

The poster is angry and frustrated. I totally get that, I would be too.

Hopefully they’ll ‘reach out’ to the Monzo team and they can add reassurance

While that’s true, my suspicion comes from this post:

This kind of behaviour just doesn’t bode well.

3 Likes

Over on the Barclays forum, someone is complaining about an English chap called David:

I’ve referred the thread to our Financial Crime team. They’ll be taking a look tomorrow. They’ll know if we have seen a string of this recently.

13 Likes

Might not have even been a real person :open_mouth:

1 Like

I am not angry or frustrated.
I am pointing out that this fraudster could not walk into a branch of Barclays, NatWest, or any other UK High Street Bank, open an account and hope to get away with this sort of activity.
The fact that she is able to do so or feels able to do so without consequences here is perhaps something you should be looking at going forward.

Why not? They do this all the time?

12 Likes

Ok this is just going around in circles now. I’m sure the team will do everything they can to investigate.

7 Likes

I agree with this.

2 Likes

Yes they can… if you believe other wise you live in cloud cuckoo land…

Nothing stoping me or you walking into a bank tomorrow, opening an account in someone elses name, with forged ID, and Documents, and the bank would be none the wiser… until someone complained about a fraud and to which account details, by which time , i could have moved the money multiple times across the globe, to an account in the Cayman Islands or Isle of Man…

Maybe time to close this thread down…

8 Likes

Yes close it down. I expected that. Nobody is at fault and hey everyone else does it so why should I come on here and complain.I get it. It’s a shame you don’t

You can open accounts with the high-street banks online now - with absolutely no physical ID checking of any kind.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Monzo is actually the hardest bank to open accounts with compared to most others because they want video ID and photos of your driving license etc.

My B acocunt? Filled in a form online, instant activation. Same with the natwest account I used previously for cheque cashing…

I get it’s annoying… I’ve had scams against me in the past. Not the bank’s fault, it’s 100% the fault of the criminal.

6 Likes

Exactly, also the likelihood is it may be a borrowed or stolen account…

On a side note I really want to work at the Monzo Financial crime team. Have no skills, qualifications or experience in anything remotely similar but I think I could nail that job.

“Just 1 more thing, can you do a Scottish accent?”

2 Likes