XBOX Series X

1 Like

New xbox app update just landed on iOS that allows you to stream your game from your console remotely.

I guess this usurps OneCast. The word remotely is interesting though, as to me, it suggests you donā€™t need to be confined to your local network to play. How well this would work in theory though remains to be seen.

EDIT

Just briefly tested this on my iPhone using 4G. It works remotely as they describe, once your console has been set up for game streaming. It works surprisingly well too, despite being on 4G, and my console being connected to my router via WiFi. There were some visual issues from time to time with rendering, but input latency was minimal, and frame rate was as smooth as you would expect. There was a constant annoying audio interference for the duration of my test though.

I presume this is the localised private cloud version of Xcloud that Microsoft announced alongside xcloud a few years back where they promised to allow you to stream remotely from your own personal console and library. Itā€™s pretty neat. Definitely feels beta-ish, but itā€™s hard to say if the issues were down to me being on WiFi, as the audio issues persisted within my local network too, and I constantly had a pop up saying there was network interference. I suspect the audio issues are more likely a bug, given that OneCast doesnā€™t suffer from them despite the same network conditions.

Very impressed so far.

2 Likes

Yep just super briefly tested this too. Framerate wasnā€™t perfect but very impressive.

My understanding from what Iā€™ve read is that there is ā€˜console streamingā€™ and ā€˜xcloudā€™ now.

So this imo is superior in terms of giving you access to all games you own and have via gamepass etc, while xcloud could perhaps have the upper hand for streaming speeds as it wouldnā€™t have to come from my Xbox first, but just straight down from Microsoftā€™s servers(?).

Buzzed to have this and start using it properly on phone and iPad.

1 Like

The Razer Kishi is available for iPhone now too: https://www.razer.com/gb-en/mobile-controllers/Razer-Kishi/RZ06-03360100-R3M1

1 Like

The whole interview with Ben Thompson on Stratechery is worth a read / listen if youā€™re a subscriber.

They really do seem focussed on the customer experience and fitting Xbox around how they want to play games.

2 Likes

Microsoft have stock of the series S if anyone needs

1 Like

Iā€™ll have a read and watch of these later. Should hopefully help me to decide if I should keep my series S pre order or cancel. Some of the stuff coming out from game developers suggest itā€™s not powerful enough to hit the frame rate targets or ray tracing.

I donā€™t personally care about 4K, or 8K gaming. But the rest matters to me.

What games are people buying?

Iā€™m probably only going to buy one for now, I was leaning towards COD but now thinking about Cyberpunk.

Completely forgot about my pre-order for Watch Dogs Legion, which I discovered was installed and ready to play last Friday. Crashes a lot, and havenā€™t been able to play it much, so that will probably be my first new game experience on the new console.

Iā€™ve got destiny 2 beyond light pre ordered too, which releases on the same day as the console.

Iā€™m not too sure on Cyberpunk. CDPR get a lot of praise, and seem to be industry darlings, but Iā€™ve never found myself particularly interested in their games, and didnā€™t enjoy the little bits Iā€™ve played, and itā€™s the same with Cyberpunk for me. Doesnā€™t appeal to, care little for it, and probably wonā€™t enjoy it. Iā€™ll do what I did with Witcher, and wait until its on gamepass to try it when thereā€™s a drought of games.

Oh never mind. Just received an email from Smyths to say my xbox has been dispatched, then a following email from DPD to say itā€™ll be delivered on November 9th.

Can always return it. :grimacing:

Edit: 60FPS at 1080p on both Sea of Thieves and Destiny 2 sound far more promising than what Iā€™ve been hearing elsewhere for third party titles. This is pretty much all I need and want along with the faster loading times, so I should be quite happy with a series S.

9th?!

Yep! Only one courier delivers in my area, so everything gets handed off to them regardless of which courier the store dispatches with. (Except Royal Mail). They have no problem breaking the street date if they get it early enough, weather permitting though, as storms can cause significant disruptions here.

Both a blessing and a curse to live in the Scottish highlands.

1 Like

If it ever shipsā€¦

Iā€™ve got Watch_Dogs Legion on the go at the moment, which is Series X optimised. However, I missed the boat on pre-orders and will have to wait for the stock situation to improve.

As for what to get next, Iā€™d like to say Cyberpunk, but Iā€™m not going to pin hopes on that releasing until it does. I may just sign up for GamePass again and try a few out.

1 Like

I didnā€™t realise it didnā€™t have a release date!

Now moving on to Watchdogs. I like it when itā€™s a city thatā€™s real so you can explore the places you know. That might have jumped up the list!

It has a ā€˜release dateā€™ā€¦the trouble is that it has had several already. Theyā€™re just notional release dates at this point.

1 Like

It appears my Xbox Series S has just been delivered!

Canā€™t wait to get home and set up. Hopefully thereā€™s an easy way to transfer my games across and download any series S optimisations separately. Donā€™t fancy the prospect of downloading all of my games again.

The question isā€¦ vertical or horizontal? Iā€™ve been flipping back and forth over which orientation Iā€™ll have it in, but currently leaning towards vertical.

3 Likes

I canā€™t believe youā€™ve got it early!

Mine will be going horizontally purely because it wonā€™t fit in the cabinet if I stand it up, I do prefer it vertically for aesthetic reasons.

Watchdogs turned up today, so Iā€™ll be playing that tomorrow. Went for the disc version like Iā€™m from the 90s just incase it sits gathering dust and I can sell it.

Iā€™m p sure you can transfer them across your local network from your old to the new, so no need to download all over again.

1 Like

Iā€™m very happy and a little bit smug right now. This never happens to me. And now living in a remote area I never thought it would! But Smyths it would seem messed up and dispatched my console much earlier than they were supposed to!

Iā€™ve gone with vertical, looks much nicer in my opinion with the vent on display.

I hope you enjoy!

For me itā€™s by far the weakest entry in the series. The play as anyone mechanic is a cool gimmick but wore off fast for me, and I didnā€™t like there not being a central character for the story to focus on, as none of my recruits really felt like the hero at the center of the story. I also feel like the games have deterred too far from what made the initial concept so great.

The hacking and gunplay feel so bare bones now that they might as well not exist at all. The first game really got the balance of both right. Much more variety and utility to the hacks you could use, and more varied gun play action that felt like you were an epic hit man. Think John Reese from Person of Interest, or John Wick from John Wick (why is every badass person in western entertainment named John?!)

In this game they just want you to be a spider robot all the time tasering people like a face hugger from alien. Itā€™s cool, but I miss the old game play.

Yep! Thanks! Was a pretty seamless experience, and probably the best set up and on boarding experience ever from Xbox. Nicely polished.

1 Like