Working from Home

We didn’t.

Although we got given a laptop which will connect to the virtual machine that is in place on the systems at work.

Since I wasn’t travelling to and from it probably wasn’t much cost difference by paying a bit extra for heating and stuff.

1 Like

I find productivity very hard to quantify on a personal level.

Take yesterday, I did the washing up, got washing out, went and posted an eBay parcel, got a key cut and all that took less time than I would take for lunch in the office.

Then I ended up working until about 19:30 last night and it’s amazing how much more work I got done when everyone else has gone for the day. No Teams/Calls/Emails interrupting me!

Nope. But you can change your tax code for an extra few quid.

4 Likes

I don’t get any contribution to WFH. But before Covid, I could do what I wanted - go to the office to work or WFH or travel to meet people. Complete flexibility. The only thing Covid changed for me, following Government guidelines, was to stay away from the office as much as possible and not spend half of my life on planes.

We claimed the extra tax allowance (initially mid-March 2020 to end-March 2021) when it became available.

And I made sure my smart appliances & routines continue to think we’re away during work days. Otherwise it would have become more expensive than I’d have liked.

3 Likes

You might (or you might not) be in a minority with this point of view, but you’re certainly not alone. There are many, many people who enjoy their time in the office with coworkers, and have missed it during lockdown.

I never worked from home besides when I had to isolate or was sick , I just can’t do it , I’d go out of my mind staring at the same view for months on end, and also end up not really going out when/because everything is closed.

1 Like

I never worked from home either :upside_down_face:
Very keen to try it if I’ll get a new job :grin:

1 Like

This paid for the increase in tea and toilet paper consumption.

3 Likes

Check you with the two Stadia controllers :eyes:

1 Like

What do you all think of me working from home? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

As long as your new job isn’t a postman…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Not sure how many of you saw this: Apple employees rally against office working plan - BBC News

Think it’s been blown up a bit just cause it’s Apple.

They’re going from full time in the office to a hybrid model. Is it reasonable to expect they’d somehow go fully remote?

I get that some workers would love that (me included), but ultimately big change takes time and it’s not like they’re back full time.

1 Like

Ultimately that’s the not the contract you joined on, Apple haven’t traditionally let people WFH, they are now letting people to it 2/5.

People just like to moan and I’d be the same as I don’t want to go back either, but the same as them, if my employer says that’s the rules then I have two choices; I do it or I leave.

2 Likes

The problem is that people are selfish. They have been able to WFH for the past year or so, and so they expect to be allowed to do so in future.

My employer is doing a phased return to work, going up to expecting staff to do 3 days a week in the office by October. Never mind that the contract of employment that everyone signed when they started the job states that they should be expected to satisfy any reasonable demands with regards to working location, there will doubtless be much moaning about being “forced” to go back into the office.

1 Like

I would say in this regard it’s the employer who’s being selfish.

If people have been able to work effectively from home since the pandemic then there is no reason they should HAVE to come back to an office.

Offering flexibility e.g. you can come to the office if you want is the optimum solutions for all.

10 Likes

That’s a little strong. Everyone tries to do what’s in their own best interests.

As @Revels says, people will have to decide for themselves what they’re willing to accept. I’d like to just go in optionally when I feel like it but I’m not going to refuse going in 2/3 days a week. And there are definite advantages to going in.

If I had to be back in full time I would definitely find another job. There’s going to be a while now where employers and employees work to find a new equilibrium.

5 Likes

Employers with this attitude will very quickly find their talent ditching them.

In fact, it’s already happening…

Adapt and embrace the change or become the :t_rex:. Their choice really.

4 Likes

What an obtuse statement. Are our overseas WFH employees being selfish too or are you coming at this from a purely contractual point of view?

The answer is a flexible approach by allowing employees that can and want to WFH to do so and for others to take a hybrid/full-time office approach as they so choose. Presuming the employee is still as productive then what do you define the problem as being here?

The pandemic has enabled this change and shown for many employees that they can still fulfil their requirements from home just as well as being in the office but with a multitude of other benefits for them. It has also shown many others that WFH just isn’t for them and how important being at the office is for similar individual reasons.

This is such an individual issue that you can’t apply one rule to everyone. If employee well-being and happiness isn’t just lip service from an employer then you’re correct they shouldn’t be “forced” to go back into the office but try and accommodate this new way of working that is being accepted as a new norm. If they don’t, another company will and you’ll potentially lose some of your good talent.

5 Likes

That’s the key point for me. The pandemic has allowed employees to demonstrate that they can work effectively from home - to put it another way, the business case has been made that it works.

If an employer wants people back in the office, they need to demonstrate a good business case for this, not simply stamp their feet and make arbitrary demands. Employees will find a more understanding employer if that happens (as noted upthread).

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s black and white in either direction. I can work perfectly effectively from home and would do so 100% in the future if I could.

Aspects of team effectiveness are severely compromised with the full time WFH approach, however, and I recognise that even if I’m not wholly motivated to solve that issue. I could just as well be the fact that by my being at home effectively I’m screwing up someone else’s role in ways I can’t imagine.

Like it or not, it’s not only the employee’s call as to whether they are as effective from home because they don’t have access to the whole picture. So it isn’t entirely on companies to accommodate whatever employees want to do but, in the same way as all employment issues should be managed (but never are) it needs dialogue and agreement.

2 Likes