Will Google ban on Huawei affects Monzo app on my phone?

Any updates from monzo?

Useful article from the Graun. Shouldn’t affect existing phones. Huawei blockade: do I need to stop using my Android phone?

3 Likes

Only their own security updates though - so it’s a little worrying.

1 Like

They can still deliver Android security updates. But like all manufacturers they already do this to their own schedule. No reason on existing phones it should be any different to now. I probably wouldn’t buy a new Huawei right now but I don’t think there’s anything in particular to worry about with existing handsets.

What about security updates?

Huawei said it would continue to deliver security updates for its existing smartphones. It can do this via the AOSP. Huawei has a middling track record for delivering the monthly security updates made available by Google, so it is likely users will receive a similar level of service, with security updates delivered at about the same pace.

1 Like

Following this with keen interest. Had my Honor 8x for about 6 months and love it. Said I’d never go back to Samsung!! Will be forced to buy one by the sounds of it.

With the 2 power nations squabbling wouldn’t surprise me if we get cut off from updates from all google app updates (Monzo/Starling/Transferwise etc) for current Huawei phones too!
Major hit for the Chinese giant.

you will no longer be able to update to the latest version in the coming weeks

Latest version of what @Tagsmith?

Call me paranoid but I think the reason they’re pulling support for huawei is because they want more sales for Samsung?

It’s more likely a threat to iPhone. I have seen comments from Nike and Adidas condemning the trade restrictions, so it effects all products that get exported from China.

My overall feeling about the restrictions on Huawei will mean consumers will get less choice. Apple will mostly likely highlight the security benefits of the iPhone - in conjunction with a price rise - when their new phone comes up.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.