Who gets their salary paid into Monzo?

I get my salary paid into Monzo (have done for 3-4 months now) but my employer changes the reference/name on each payment. Even though the bank details stay the same, as the reference changes Monzo is unable to track the merchant logo and name. I have to contact COps every month to make it look good again, not great! See below for anyone else in a similar situation, hope it’s addressed fairly soon :smiley: :monzo:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed mine uses the pay period in the reference so that’ll change every month. I suppose I only need to get it fixed 12 times before it just works!

My employer puts the month in the reference but the name displays correctly, surely it relates to the account it is being transferred from?

Yeah, I re-read and noticed the cop said the name changed as well, maybe their employer is sending from multiple bank accounts? :man_shrugging:

Nope — same bank account as the sort code and account numbers match in app for each transaction. The only thing that changes is the name/reference of the payment.

I’m not sure how Monzo can’t match it then :worried:

Maybe the system is shared with spending and only looks at names and references. That would really need fixing for incoming :grimacing:

Yeap I know, seems weird! I would understand if a different sort code/account number was being used but it’s been the same for every transaction. ‘Description’ must relate to the payment reference surely, what else could it be?

IMG_2817

2 Likes

It’s not the only thing they cant match (fuel as well for example from Tesco and other places). i’ve given up, it doesn’t look like its on the board to fix for a good while and it currently always breaks.

30% of users now get their salary paid in Monzo. Impressive!

9 Likes

I do, and you’d hope that their ~34,000 new investors would be switching their salary over and using it as a main account pretty quickly too (given it would benefit their investment).

Interesting that the % of salaried accounts is growing fairly consistently, even as account numbers are rising pretty rapidly - show’s it’s maybe not taking long for people to see the benefits and making the switch.

Edit: I think I saw someone on twitter last night asking what the approx proportion of salaried accounts might be for banks in general - would anyone at Monzo have any view on this?

2 Likes

Only? I imagined it to be much more already.

When I opened this topic this came up as the last post I read, which was :100:% correct at the time.

How much has this changed 9 months later?! The Monzo touch has brought me a lot of control and peace of mind.

I’ve always been at risk of being caught out with direct debits landing when I don’t have the money in the right place. I’m not the most forgetful person but I have always run my current accounts close to zero.

For the first 20 years of my banking life that meant getting the occasional bounced DD, resulting in charges on both ends and late payment markers on credit files.

Now I get a pre-warning of the DD and the amount, then if I still forget and it bounces I get another chance to move the money over and solve with a click before anyone knows that I messed up.

Such an awesome solution :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

30% of a million is a pretty impressive number, given Monzo is a startup and moving your salary takes a lot of trust.

6 Likes

The growth trend looks good and hopefully will see atleast 50% full monzo by end of 2019.

I have my salary paid in, never had any issues. I love hearing the alert tone when it goes in. Always wakes me up at night, but I don’t mind! :rofl:

2 Likes

At the moment I don’t, but I do intend to. Currently my salary goes into Nationwide before a regular payment transfers it to Monzo on the same day.

What’s stopping me for the time being? A couple of things:

1) Benefits of existing account. For £13 a month the Nationwide Flex Plus comes with Phone/Travel/Breakdown insurance, and 3% interest up to £2500. In other words, for c.£80 a year (if you benefit from the interest) that’s a pretty good deal… I’ve used the phone insurance twice this year and I’ve been on about 5 trips to Europe, worry free, via travel insurance.

2) Mortgage. This one is more tenuous but my understanding is that your credit rating is, in part, calculated using the length of your financial relationships as a ‘positive’ factor. I’ve been with Nationwide 20 years and am hoping to buy in 2019 so don’t want to sever that link if it’ll be a factor, especially if Nationwide offer me the mortgage themselves (I need all the help I can get :joy:).

Frankly I have mixed feelings as ideally I would’ve gone full Monzo by now, particularly after investing, to put my mouth where my money is - however thought I’d offer insight into why personally I haven’t made the full switch in case it’s of any use to Monzo. Monzo marketplace may well offer the benefits above at some point, which would definitely speed up my shift. As I say it’s a personal choice and my reasons won’t relate to everyone.

But yes, I absolutely do trust Monzo and looking forward to making the full switch when the time’s right.

3 Likes

I’m not suggesting you do (or don’t), but you can keep that Nationwide account forever if you wanted - Even if you had your salary paid into Monzo, you could set up a standing order to send it to NW, followed by another SO to send it back to Monzo if you desired - This would fulfil the criteria for the flex plus account (which is awesome value!)

Once Monzo report to all 3 CRA’s, it’ll be much more beneficial to your credit file (coming next year I believe) :smiley:

5 Likes

Happily moved my salary over a few months ago. Zero regrets.

This is really impressive. Amazing to be growing this as well as the top line users concurrently at such a fast pace

I’d be interested to know what the definition of ‘salaried’ is, anyone know? I’ve heard talk of it being anyone who gets in more than £1,000 per month

1 Like

I would imagine anyone who gets a regular payment from a company? I have noticed it says “Payday!” when I receive things like insurance claims, but because they are not regular, hopefully that doesnt count as Salaried (even though I am anyway)

1 Like