When will Monzo support Apple Pay?

Nobody, but nobody, who cares about uptime runs either windows or macos on servers.

4 Likes

macOS is far better than Windows with memory management but itā€™s made for GUI interaction. Thatā€™s was literally the reason macOS was so famous and Windows copied it. So itā€™s no surprise both of them arenā€™t good for backend.

But letā€™s get back to issue at hand: WHERE IS APPLE PAY!?

3 Likes

I donā€™t want to get into this debate really, but fwiw my sisters recently got new laptops. One got a high end MacBook Pro, the other an XPS. The specs are almost identical, the price difference was Ā£1k. Granted, the MacBook has a touch bar.

:woman_shrugging: Each to their own, I use a ThinkPad running Ubuntu with i3 (window manager) personally.

3 Likes

Yeah the touchbar does add a ridiculous amount to the costā€¦ the XPS 13 starts at Ā£1149 and MacBook Pro sans touchbar is Ā£1249 but with the touchbar the MBP starts at Ā£1749 (!!!)

1 Like

The real price of the MacBook is the software; something you donā€™t really pay for with a Windows machine (Windows licenses cost peanuts for OEMs); thatā€™s the 1k difference. Of course, it doesnā€™t matter if your objective is to put Linux or some other OS on them anyway.

4 Likes

Why do these topics always get sidetracked? Could we not start a new thread in general chat for Apple related products?

2 Likes

Like Cider, with posts about Scrumpy in a separate thread!

2 Likes

I recently got an ASUS Zenbook with an i7 and 16GB RAM for under Ā£1k.

MBP at that spec is some Ā£600-Ā£700 more.

2 Likes

I think a lot of what youā€™re paying for is the support as well. My 3 year old phone had an issue and they replaced it on the spot no charge. I also had my 2011 MBP replaced last year for a brand new MBP when the graphics crapped out at no cost. The ability to walk into a store and get support when you need it is also what makes the extra cost worth it.

Meanwhile my 2 year old Dell laptop which was Ā£1900 is on its 3rd graphics card and 2nd trackpad/keyboard and thatā€™s only because we pay through the teeth for the extended warranties. Then you have to fight on the phone to prove that itā€™s a hardware issue and not a software issue.

6 Likes

Yeah people hardly ever factor in things like:

Actually good support. Not shipping my Mac off or having to fight for obvious defects.
Free software included (like Pages/Numbers/Keynote). Rather than paying Ā£100+ for office + free annual major OS updates.
Resell value. I sold my 4 year old Mac for Ā£800 after buying it for Ā£1400. Cost of Computer: Ā£600 for 4 years.
Build quality. No creaky low quality plastics.
Battery Life. I have had so many Windows laptops and had such a tiny amount of battery life. Manufactors include HP, Acer, Dell + Samsung. Never had more than 3 hours of actual real life use. Vs never less than 10 hours with my Mac.

14 Likes

Agree with this, the cost of the unit goes into many things.

2 Likes

Spec?

I have an old MBP kicking about was thinking of selling it

I had a 13" Mid 2013 MacBook Air with i7, 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

No, but seriously, where is Apple Pay? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Lots of people mentioning ā€œsimilar specā€¦ Ā£500-Ā£1000 more expensive for the Macā€.

Whilst this may be true on a spec sheet, it doesnā€™t tell the whole story.

The same spec Mac will run quicker and more efficiently as the same spec PC. This is because of the integration between Appleā€™s hardware and software. Youā€™ve got more companies vying for a piece of the pie with the Windows machines.

That being said, to get machines that do run at the same speed, youā€™d still probably spend a few hundred quid more on the Mac.

However, when you take everything into consideration (the support, longevity etc), which others have already explained, I think the Mac is worth the money.

Bringing it back to Apple Payā€¦

Question for the more loyal of Monzo customersā€¦

If Monzo release Apple Pay with no explanation about the delay, and nothing ā€œextraā€ (such as Monzo being a partner of Apple with Apple Cash) - Just plain old Apple Pay which everyone else hasā€¦

Will you be satisfied? Or would you want more of an explanation?

2 Likes

As much as I would like an explanation, and I would. I donā€™t think itā€™s realistic for two reasons.

The first reason being the NDA. I donā€™t think Monzo will be allowed to explain why it took so long or reveal details that may show how the Apple Pay application process works for banks.

Second reason is Monzo seem to own issues as their own. We donā€™t know for sure if the delays are because of Apple, but if they were, I doubt Monzo would point the finger. They paint their suppliers/partners in a positive way, even if an issue is their suppliers/partners fault.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure Iā€™d call myself a loyal Monzo customer, but for me Apple Pay falls into the fun, but not important, category.

However, given Monzoā€™s ethos of transparency, Iā€™d be somewhat surprised if there was no explanation. So, yes, Iā€™d be satisfied if there was no explanation.

2 Likes

43 posts were split to a new topic: Removed Posts - 9/4/18

iPhone in picture with obscure tag #HL3 confirā€¦sorry #ApplePayConfirmed.

2 Likes

My 7 year old asked what the pic was that I was looking at. Told him was trying to figure out what was coming soon. He told me they said itā€™s coming soon, you just have to wait

This entire discussion in a nutshell :joy:

11 Likes