What's your primary messaging app?

Facebook and Whatsapp for personal matters.

LinkedIn for responding to responding to recruiters/headhunters.

I use:

Slack
Google Hangouts
Signal (wish more people would use this)
Twitter
FB Messenger

Iā€™d like to not use FB Messenger, but there are still too many people for whom this is the only method of contact and I canā€™t just cut them off.

Wouldnā€™t touch with a bargepole:

Whatsapp. I donā€™t trust it at all.

Have avoided so far but may yet end up having to use it:

Telegram. I donā€™t want to add yet another messaging app to my line-up. Telegram doesnā€™t offer anything that Hangouts, Slack or Signal doesnā€™t. Itā€™s also suffered a non-trivial amount of downtime recently that Iā€™ve seen. But, itā€™s all about the people, and if enough people I know move over there, I may yet have to use it too.

iMessage and WhatsApp.

iMessage is the reason Iā€™m not allowed an Android phone

1 Like

iMessage, SMS, and a bit of Facebook Messenger if I really have to.

1 Like

WhatsApp.

use SMS for basically one friend.

Use Instagram and FB mostly for sharing things with the boyfriend.

FB Messenger here closely followed by iMessage. If Snapchat counts I used that on and off but itā€™s becoming more rare.

Once in a blue moon Iā€™ll use Twitter DM or Instagram DM.

Iā€™m thinking of deleting Facebook, I find it sucks time out of my day but adds no value. The benefit now is that Facebook and Messenger are completely independent now and you can have the one without the other :raised_hands:

https://m.facebook.com/help/messenger-app/1526848634305688

In work our primary contact method is email or M$ Teams.

SMS for general communication (Mum/Grandmother/Sister)
WhatsApp if one of those people want to send a picture
WhatsApp for university communication (I did a group project last semester, WhatsApp was used for that)
Telegram for Ingress stuff (formerly Hangouts)
Slack for Monzo randomnessā€¦

iMessage
WhatsApp
Microsoft Teams (Work)
Slack
Facebook Messenger
SMS
Instagram DM

Yep. I deleted Facebook just after Christmas for the same reason. Iā€™ve never missed it for a moment.

1 Like

whatsapp all day

Instagram is my primary, followed by-
WhatsApp (mostly calls: bf/ family/ one group chat)
Facebook Messenger
iMessage (for that one friend who wonā€™t move to any others)

iMessage and WhatsApp

Messenger primarily, but Instagram DMs more and more these days. Havenā€™t sent a SMS for about 6 months!

Can someone explain why Slack is used so much? Hadnā€™t really given it much thought, but a lot of people on here are saying they use it?

1 Like

A lot of businesses use it as their messenger client. Allows lots of cool integrations with 3rd party software so you could have anything from a bot alerting you when a server goes down or a tweet mentioning your company to an alert when the milk runs out

3 Likes

Indeed we have a continuous feed from both our bug reporting and build servers so itā€™s possible to get an overview of activity. Thereā€™s also a zendesk feed for the support guys.

My primary messaging app is WhatsApp.
But my preferred messaging app is Signal - itā€™s open source and uses end-to-end encryption. Althiugh WhatsApp now uses the Signal protocol, itā€™s not open source, which is why I still prefer Signal.

1 Like

These days i use iMessage for people with Apple devices and Wire for cross-platform.

I ran my own Jabber/XMPP server off and on from 1999 until earlier this year. When Google Talk initially launched it used XMPP and suddenly i could communicate with pretty much all my contacts. It was the golden age of messaging, but they eventually abandoned it in favour of a closed, siloed solution.

I actively avoid anything Facebook so have never used FB messenger, WhatsApp, etc.

Iā€™ve got my eye on Matrix as an open, federated, Slack-like successor to XMPP but havenā€™t set up my own server yet (waiting on their new Go-based server, Dendrite, to become production-ready).

2 Likes

I currently have these messaging apps:

• iMessage
  • WhatsApp
  • FB Messenger
  • Instagram
  • WeChat

WeChat was just out of curiosity and Iā€™ll be closing my account as soon as I can - I donā€™t think Iā€™d be able to force everyone I know onto it, but it seems pretty good! I mainly use WhatsApp, but have found myself using Instagram Direct more and more lately. I donā€™t like Facebook and fully deleted my profile earlier in the year, though Iā€™m back on it (I needed a log in to use FB 360 on the Oculus) - I might end up deleting it again as I donā€™t find it useful at all!

Signal :wink:

3 Likes