What's Next?

I’d say a few reasons in my opinion.

Although they are ultimately a bank, i think people tend to see them a sa tech company so expect them to keep up with “trends” for want of a better word.

Dark mode is quickly becoming an expected feature in most if not all apps, especially if you’re a dark mode user like myself. I refuse to use a lot of apps if they don’t offer it now as it’s too jarring, Monzo is currently an exception to the rule.

Lastly, theoretically it should not take a huge team to accomplish and deliver it, evidence from Android teardowns show that certain frameworks have been put in place ready for Dark Mode, so i’d assume it’s just a question of when rather than if we get it.

3 Likes

For most things that are more “UX” thank banking featuresb - I think people view UX features as “yeah I can see that being useful, I’ll vote”.

Where as the Banking ones are more polarising - and probably a smaller view of people see the need.

1 Like

I’d like to be able to pay cash in at the Post Office as I can do with other banks. I did read an article some time ago that Monzo was in talks with the PO regarding this, but it’s been radio silence ever since.

1 Like

A real bank has a credit card.
Look at Bunq. Their creditcard is linked to your account balance.
You could give people a choice. Being a debit/credit card in one.
That would give Monzo a unique selling point.

1 Like

No, a real bank has a banking licence and is regulated by the FCA and PRA.

A credit card does not make a bank. Processes and assurances do. That’s why you have credit cards without a banking licence and banking licences being granted without credit cards on offer.

It would be nice, but asMonzo have been cautious with lending even before the pandemic, it’s unlikely to happen anytime soon

4 Likes

Completely agree. I only tried to link technical possibilities to a unique feature for Monzo.
I know there is more to it than just opening the credit tap.

1 Like

I would love to withdraw cash. My post office doesn’t accept Monzo… :thinking:

[Where I live there is one atm (70/80% empty or not working) and then my last resort is the Post Office. Or driving 6 Miles…]

So you pay them money and then they pay you more money back? Someone’s got to lose in that equation.

1 Like

I’d nuke my old bank if they offered a credit card. I know it’s a lot of effort to set that up, as it’s a totally different business to current accounts, but it is funny that every damn store in the country offers you a store credit card, but Monzo haven’t yet gone down that path.

I think what drives that is using your phone in the dark in bed at night without your partner getting pissed off :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

the amount of times i’ve heard “TURN YOUR BLOODY BRIGHTNESS DOWN!!!” is actually unbelievable

3 Likes

“Are you seriously editing your pot images again? It’s 2AM!!”

• Ms British Library, Jul 21.
10 Likes

Hahahahahaaha.

I already have full dark mode through my device and it looks great. Would be interesting to see how the Monzo version of a dark mode would compare :thinking:

I’m sure I read an article last week about… Instagram maybe? Something like that anyway, owned by a huge corp, loads of devs, simple enough app, but doing dark mode WELL isn’t easy and that’s why it took them so long (maybe wasn’t Instagram will try and find article).

Anyway, I think it’s trickier than it seems, it’s not just ‘flip the contrast’.

1 Like

oh i get that entirely, and just for the record I don’t think it’s a simple task at all but I don’t believe it requires more than few people per platform. Probably wrong but that’s just my thoughts.

It’s the time it’s take to implement it over the amount of devs it would take up.

Although I’m a web dev, I have fairly little knowledge about the way in which iOS and Android apps are developed, however, in web there’s some already some fairly standardised method to help you build and implement a dark mode for your website, i would assume it’s vaguely similar for apps.

I hate it when people think it’s as simple as flipping the contrast because it is so much harder than that and the fact they’ve already had designers work on it do a good job in the one visual we’ve seen is a boost of confidence.

There was a great article by the lead designer from Stack Overflow on the efforts to convert their platform a while ago that’s worth a read if you can find it and are interested

Edit: Found the SO article https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/03/31/building-dark-mode-on-stack-overflow/

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

Yes, but designed properly and not forced.

1 Like

How different do you expect a dark mode to be? :neutral_face:

3 Likes