What was your very first bank account?

Martins Bank - Parents opened it up for me as a youngster. I seem to remember a Grasshopper ‘piggy bank’. It might still be in the attic somewhere.

3 Likes

Barclays if I remember correctly. I certainly had one of these money boxes from them too :smiley:

4 Likes

TD Canada Trust for me! Complete with piggy bank and card! They also gave you a little book that they would put into a printer to record deposits/withdrawals.

4 Likes

Lloyds Bank was opened for me by my mum as my first account, loved it until I found monzo

2 Likes

My very first bank account was Northern Rock for savings when I was a kid, then when I turned 12/13 (I think) I was with HSBC

It came with a little red bank, I lost the key, but you could open it with a can opener from corn beef

8 Likes

Abbey National, with the little books.

2 Likes

Abbey National and TSB, I don’t know which came first as they were opened for me. I do remember enjoy the little books and watching them print the balance.

Lloyds was probably my first account I chose. I remember being chuffed when I got my first cheque book and cheque guarantee card.

1 Like

A savings account with Nationwide when I was 14, after a post office savings account when I was much smaller. Had a NatWest account when I was a student and it was rubbish. Opened a Flexaccount withNationwide when they brought it out.

2 Likes

A TSB Trustcard was my first credit card.

1 Like

Ulster bank, with a Henry hippo money box. Might still have it somewhere.

1 Like

Ahhh the memories!

Yes RBS also just like everyone in my family.

3 Likes

I had a Nationwide saver account (I think it was called smart2save?) which had Tammy the Tamarin as a mascot, I had all sorts of stuff like a height chart, and little magazines, it was so fun! I feel like kids don’t get as much fun free stuff now. You never get freebies with groceries now either.

3 Likes

Griffin saver with my dictionary and holdall

5 Likes

Post Office Savings Account. My first CA was with Natwest. I went into to my local branch to open a student’s account. They looked at me as if I had two heads.

3 Likes

HSBC MyMoney. Got it because my mum banked with them. Partially switched to Monzo in 2021 when I got my first job, then switched HSBC to Nationwide last October for bonus & interest. Now I’m far too deep into the bank switches & getting rewards - it’s a bit of a faff to deal with but when you work in a supermarket you can hardly turn down free money!

4 Likes

Barclays. Then left them when I had to go into a branch to sort something out. Couldn’t be bothered doing that.

1 Like

Lloyds, had a kids account when was then upgraded to a big adult account - was with them till I eventually did the CAS to Monzo

2 Likes

September 1974 First year University.
Lloyds Bank, Bristol Clifton Branch on Queens Road. It’s still there.
None of the kind of opening incentives for students that exist nowadays.
Was issued with a chequebook which I didn’t know how to use and a card for use in their ATM, which was a novelty at the time.

Happy Days.

6 Likes

Heart of England Building Society.

Got a lovely plastic globe…

3 Likes

Some great pictorial memories on here. Mine was a Post Office savings account, a strange little book with a blue & clear plastic flap where every transaction was handwritten in & stamped (I think).

5 Likes