What was your very first bank account?

Who do you first remember banking with?

I know my first proper bank account as a teenager was with what was Midland Bank and I was very excited to have a Solo card!

Before that I had an account with Britannia building society with one of those pass books which you handed over and they printed into for you.

4 Likes

Abbey National. I had a kids account that my parents had opened. Kept that for yeeeears and then I think turned it into a Santander once they were bought over. Think my first proper account outside of that might have been a Bank of Scotland when I was a teenager.

5 Likes

RBS. Was very excited to have the card and paying in book, and I had this little folding PDA/phone book/calculator/whatever else thing, may have had some games on it, which was RBS branded and came with the account.

2 Likes

Nationwide and Abbey Book accounts, then a proper card account with Abbey, and now can’t even remember how many and whats main account, all in used different ways lol

3 Likes

10 Likes

Though technically it might be when Midland moved me to their Number One account at eleven, as that is the date showing for the age of my HSBC account

3 Likes

Remember taking a Yorkshire Bank passbook and a small amount of money to school each week when I was at junior school. I have no recollection of what happened to that account.

My first “proper” bank account was a National Westminster Bank current account when I was 16. They gave me a cheque book but I had to wait a year for a cashpoint card, and until I was 18 for a cheque guarantee card.

6 Likes

Halifax - I know it wasn’t a bank back then. A passbook and a little yellow house as a gift.
Used to love going in branch with cash. The smell of the book, the noise the printer made on the book.

The good olde days that I do in a way miss. Certainly wouldn’t have been making bank transfers in seconds!

5 Likes

Abbey National was my first that I can recall too.

4 Likes

RBS as a kid. They gave me a mini piggy bank that was branded and even had a key to open it!
Not my image - mine was pink.

5 Likes

i had 2 rbs and airdrie savings bank

4 Likes

Woolwich BS for saving, and then Girobank when I started work.

3 Likes

NatWest Student account, with a Solo card. Pretty big deal for me back then to have a debit card, even though Solo wasn’t accepted everywhere and I wasn’t eligible for a Switch card.

4 Likes

Furness Building Society, back in primary school

3 Likes

Barclays in 1968 when they had green cheques and you paid 2d stamp duty to use one. R-

3 Likes

GoHenry, or proper one was Nationwide FlexOne

2 Likes

2018-2019 - Santander 1|2|3 Mini
Subsequent fraud ended in ombudsman ruling in my favour & then
Defecting to Barclays

I think HSBC with a solo card was the first account I remember - at least remember accessing it myself in my tweens.

I suspect it started life as a Midland accout at some point - there was definitely a midland piggy bank at home that belonged to someone.

2 Likes

NatWest with the China piggy banks

2 Likes

NatWest with a little piggy bank.

Then we moved to a tiny village that only had one bank within about 10 miles. It was an HSBC so I opened my first real current account with them when I was 11. I’m nearly 40 and I still have it! :grin:

2 Likes