What was your very first bank account?

Martins Bank, opened for me by my parents. It came with a large plastic money box in the shape of a grasshopper. It is in the loft somewhere.

2 Likes

Birmingham Municipal Bank, Yardley branch. When I was about 11 (late 1960s)! Passbook with handwritten entries. Later became assimilated into TSB. I was gone to Midland Bank by then (my first employer in 1975).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/birmingham/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9023000/9023930.stm

University of Birmingham now use the old BMB head office in the city centre as an extension of their campus. And Prof Carl Chinn, a longstanding professor of local history at Uni of Brum, was a classmate of mine at grammar school.

3 Likes

A positive development for that building, that seemed a bit lost of purpose in my Edgbaston days

1 Like

Except when it was used as the police HQ in series 1 of “Line of Duty”… :joy:

Now we’re cooking with gas.

Is that a TV programme? :wink:

One of Supt. Hasting’s (Line of Duty) great phrases.

Is that The Exchange? Opposite where the ice rink is at the moment? Its a cool looking building, we were meant to have an away day there, but I decided a day of listening to dreadful management speak wouldn’t be off set by going to look at the cool building. So I pretended to be too busy with important research and cell culture that just meant I couldn’t attend… :rofl:

1 Like

Yes it is

I had one of these for years, before opening a Nationwide savings account.

Barclayplus for me, back when I was about 12. I had a card and a bank giro credit (paying in book).
I was quite a short, young looking 12 year old and the first time I used an ATM, a passing woman had a go at me for playing around with a cash machine :joy:
I don’t think many 12 year olds had bank cards back in the early 90’s.
It got worse, because when I was 16 I got my first debit card (the original Electron card), and the first time I tried to use it, I was refused in Argos because they didn’t believe it was my card :joy:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Mine was a solo (HSBc) and when I first used mine around 16 to buy something I felt like billy big balls.

Now, I wince when the card comes out cos it means money is being spent. How times change!

6 Likes

My parents opened me an Abbey National kids account. Then when I went to college I opened RBS and NatWest. Love NatWest but since being stupid and not paying back a £2000 overdraft they have never let me open an account since. That must be about 16years ago now haha.

2 Likes

Even now? Banks do seem to hold grudges against people

You can’t ever have another account if you close your Monzo and 12 months with Starling

2 Likes

Possibly changing (:monzo:) - recent code snippets show the dissociation of telephone number/email when an account application is rejected or an account is closed - so does this mean it is might be easier to try to join again?

1 Like

Will get @NanoOp to test, but I don’t hold out hope

HSBC wouldn’t let me reopen an account for years after I had a student account with them (and lived in my overdraft).

But eventually, they must have forgave since I’m now with them and have been for a while.

Monzo wise, I last enquired about reopening around Aug this year (2023) and initially was told no by review, but then told a “policy change” had occurred and if I wanted to have one I needed to send in ID.

So, it may be worth trying again

1 Like

I started off with Abbey National (now Santander). I eventually closed my account and went with Metro Bank (still with Metro Bank now). I stumbled across Monzo around 5 years ago :slight_smile:

I’ve had 3 Monzo accounts in the past year and half. Have they changed their policies again? Last time I tried they initially said no and accounts can be applied for again after 30days. They also require photo ID etc. I’m fully with Monzo for my salary and bills. I just want a bricks and mortar bank for my long term savings… currently awaiting outcome from HSBC but they are busier than usual apparently

1 Like