What is the law on changing terms and conditions of credit cards

How much notice needs to be given and how? I’d prefer citations of legal instruments.

It will be in the terms and conditions to which you originally agreed. Read those.

3 Likes

Usually 30 days, or two months, but it’s whatever was in the terms when you took out the card. If it’s to your advantage then they may make the change immediately. Either post, email, online, app and that could be one could be all, but again this will be hidden in the terms.

Got a citation for there being no legal minimum?

I’d imagine it will be defined by YOUR Credit Card provider, no? What did the Terms & Conditions say?

seems there might be no minimum notice period , its purely at the gift of the provider , presumably if they change the terms and conditions the consumer has the right to withdraw from the contract if its detrimental to the consumer ( and pay back the outstanding balance ??? ) but Im no expert :slight_smile:

12.9 Regulation 2 of the Consumer Credit (Notice of Variation of Agreements) Regulations 1977, SI 1977/328 (the Variation Regulations) has been amended to provide that there is no longer a requirement to give at least seven days’ notice before a variation to a regulated agreement has effect28. The requirement is now that notice must be given before the variation takes effect. In the case of changes which are to the borrower’s disadvantage, notification should be made in sufficient time to enable the borrower to be aware of the variation and to act upon it if they wish.

page 56 …havent read through it all so take it with a pinch of salt

the un amended regulations gave 7 days minimum notice - can’t be bothered looking for the amended regulations :slight_smile:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1977/328/regulation/2/made

1 Like

I’m not asking about terms. I’m asking about the legally mandated requirements.

Thanks for being the only person to answer the question.

If there’s no legal minimum, that’s all I needed to know :slight_smile:

its like a quiz :slight_smile:

• from what Ive linked there doesn’t seem to be , but the sentence " notification should be made in sufficient time to enable the borrower " needs to be interpreted …and presumably has been in law somewhere - whether this is the most up to date law :man_shrugging:
1 Like

I mean, no disrespect to Ian, but he’s interpreting what he got from an internet search (very kind of him to spend the time doing this), so I’m not sure that you are any further ahead in terms of legal certainty. Surely you could have done the same thing yourself?

5 Likes

non taken :slight_smile: not much else to do under house arrest

2 Likes

As should go without saying, I did. Not sure why you need to be so rude and presumptuous.

I tried and failed. If you can do a better job, please chip in. Else I’m not seeing the point of your post.

Out of curiosity was this to use in a general conversation, or are you annoyed at your credit card provider for changing their terms? I mean if you google your provider and terms it should help clear it up and what they have specifically agreed to follow.

1 Like

Again, I hope it’s obvious that people only post on forums after trying to google the answer at least once.

Haven’t been able to find historical terms for many credit card providers. If you have, please let us know. Either way, as mentioned above, that doesn’t help me clarifying what I’m looking for which is the statutory legal situation.

Oh I was just curious if it was for homework for Law, or to clear up an argument, or you felt your credit card provider may have broken the rules in their Ts&Cs.

I asked because I’m curious about the answer. Not sure what difference my motive makes (please tell me if it does! :smile:), I still am aiming to find out the same information.

but if you have signed up to the firms terms and conditions, you have agreed to abide by them, not sure it matters when the law says there is no longer need to give 7 days notice, a new agreement with the provider might say we can change our T and Cs with no notice , you have signed up to the old terms and conditions for your contract - that’s what you have signed up to …the provider can change their T and Cs if they disadvantage you you can withdraw from the contract ???

I am as usual on the forum shooting blind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because it might reframe things for some people when they deign to spend time to give you an answer.

But hey, this is what Mute is for. Have fun! Stay safe!!

3 Likes

Not strictly true. e.g. if they are deemed unfair.

Gordon, if people are really that petty then let them go ahead :slight_smile:

I prefer to keep the discussion on topic. I don’t see many people in other threads demanding to know the reason for asking before they elect to share their help and would find it a bit odd if I didn.