We're working on a new look for the Monzo app

Hey Colin, yes I’m sure you’re right. I have seen the Investec info once but now it’s gone. Hopefully they’ll squash that bug soon :hiking_boot::bug:

2 Likes

I’m going to echo some of the points above

• the scroll action needs to be continuous (currently it stops and requires a second gesture)
  • clicking on the half hidden card should reveal the reveal/freeze/manage options
  • when scrolling through the transactions, pressing on the home icon should bring it back to the top and showing the half hidden card

I have an iPhone 7 and screen real estate is at a premium (relative to the newer phones), so i’d like the summary info to be moved

2 Likes

So this is the sort of thing I was imagining (rough concept sketches only, just to get the sense across):

On the home screen, I’d love the account balance figure to be swipeable. Swipe right and you get the Left to Spend figure. Swipe back left again and you get the total account figure. Monzo remembers where you are, of course, so unless you change it, that’s your preference. On the left of spend view, the balance is shown in the appropriate colour. I’ve also hidden the Summary left to spend bar from the account view and made it more discreet:

I’ve also added a ‘committed spend’ feed item. That opens a replacement for Summary, somewhat slimmed down and more focused on upcoming payments rather than category breakdown etc. I’d also see this as where new users would set up payday, budget, left to spend etc. You can also search from this screen (to find committed spend), add new committed spend (either one offs or by finding a transaction) or (use your imagination here!) tap into a transaction and change the value (vital for credit cards) or to skip it for the month. I’d also like to go forward in time here and see future periods.

(This needs a lot more work to make it visually compelling, I know!)

So this leaves the functionality we used to have in Summary to see transactions broken down by category. I’ve moved this to a new search function:

Here, I’ve moved the tabs that @bruno and @JordanFish had on the main page (personal preference, but I think it’s cleaner that way). I’d like to add an advanced button somewhere that lets you build up search terms, select by dates (either a specific day, statement dates, pay dates from Left-to-Spend, or user customisable periods) and to potentially create custom filters that you can save and come back to. I think an export function to create a statement with only selected transactions would be the cherry on the cake!

Anyway, those are the thoughts of a feverish madman. Any takers?

27 Likes

I would like to see sum of spend/income per day and also end of day balance somewhere - how about on the day header row in the transaction feed?

4 Likes

Liking the new look, but it didn’t feel very intuitive to swap accounts. It took me forever to try holding on the home button.

It would feel more natural to select from a dropdown when clicking in my profile picture (like how Gmail does it, for example).

Ooh, this could actually be huge if it works the way I’m imagining…

If you’re a heavy credit card user so don’t use Monzo for budgeting, this would hopefully make that problem go away - create a group with your Monzo account and your credit card in and hey presto, budgeting/Left to Spend will work. And you should be able to see all the transactions from your credit card and Monzo account in one place. That could be a game changer!

(Side thought, I wonder if the open banking APIs would allow Monzo to pick up credit card transactions pretty instantaneously? Instant notifications / live updating from banks that don’t support it :thinking:)

Just one plea - can we get away from calling it a Monzo Card? Unless there’s a bigger strategy at play here that I’m not seeing, the ‘card’ term is a hang over from pre-paid days - I’d much rather Monzo Account. And that’d let you decouple the card and the account ready for stuff in the future (for example, one card servicing both joint/personal/euro Monzo accounts - or if you wanted to play in Curve’s space).

18 Likes

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood, but it makes loss of sense to call the card you get with your Monzo account and the card shown in the app the “Monzo card” because it is literally a card from Monzo…

Well quite. It is a card from Monzo.

But the point I was making was that if you say that the account is the card is the account is the card (you get the point) then you lose the ability to split them up.

An example I gave was if you had a joint and personal account. At the moment there are two cards. Imagine if you had one and you could change which one operates the card from within the app. At that point it doesn’t make sense to talk about a Monzo card - as the card actually works for two accounts.

My suggestion wasn’t that Monzo makes this change now, but if they change their language it both moves them away from pre-paid days and enables this type of funkiness in the future, should they fancy it.

1 Like

So is the notification centre just a placeholder at the minute?

Just got a feed item notifcation saying “X person is joing monzo” i thought this would be the sort of thing which would come in the notifications bell section?

1 Like

I could be wrong but I think it may just show your balance rather than a breakdown but I could be wrong (I hope I am)

I was thinking expansively earlier about what possibilities would exist from Bruno’s mock-up. I don’t think anyone should expect them day 1 (if at all)!

1 Like

That’s the idea. But any changes to the accounts screen will probably come first without custom grouping/sorting, to be added later on.

13 Likes

It looks like I’ve lost the private message text for when I’ve paid Monzo contacts pre having the new feed. I say text, I mean emojis because that’s what I use to communicate. Apologies if it’s already been mentioned

I thought I’d register to post some thoughts on this. To be honest, whilst I like the new icon design I feel like the whole use and functionality of the Summary page would be lost in this UX design.

The whole point of the Summary tab in my view is to form a budgeting tool within your bank account. It lets you set budgets for your spending categories, view your committed spend, as well as set an overall budget. It is all these things being visible on one page that makes it so useful as a tool for budgeting. For the sake of removing one tab, all these features are now being split to different sections, removed or made more difficult to get to in terms of number of clicks.

5 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but let’s wait and see what Monzo come up with - it’s still super early days and they seem to really understand the need for Summary like features.

I should say that I don’t work for Monzo so my mock-ups are just that. And I expect anything that Monzo does to have a lot more refinement and testing with real users!

1 Like

After my initial panic about the summary tab (my fault, I dont read further than my nose sometimes) I’ve come to my thoughts on the new App layout.
I love it & I cant wait to see how Monzo plans to integrate the rest of its features into this new app layout.
I showed the layout to my partner and she has different thoughts. She doesnt like the new layout. She likes the extra tabs on the bottom. She didnt even like the change in style to the account tab recently.
I really am looking forward to the updates to the app layout and will continue to give my feedback as a avid Monzo supporter.

1 Like

@bruno Increasing the padding and margins slightly would give way more breathing space and make it look a lot less busy / cluttered imo. At the moment it feels like there is way to much going on and I feel it could benefit from being calmed down a bit. I don’t feel I need to see anymore than the last 3 transactions Prior to scrolling on the main screen. Less is more, more or less. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think “View All” should be called “Pots and Accounts”

7 Likes

Using a LG G6 with the latest android version and there appears to be a bug with the pots. I only have one currently shows £0 although when you click into it it shows the full amount in the pot

I like the new look, using it right now, but what I’m really seriously missing is the Summary screen which tells me how much I can expect to have at the end of the month after expenses etc.

Does anyone know if that’s hidden somewhere?