We’re tweaking how locked pots work

Thats correct that was me but i would like to lock it fully to the day i choose

I get where you’re coming from.

I am going to open one of the OakNorth savings accounts with no minimum deposit when they’re available in app. The 24 hour wait to get money from that account basically will act as a way of putting money aside and having to think if my spending is necessary before I transfer it back.
Would that kind of thing be any use to you?

2 Likes

Do u know where there out

Hopefully in a few weeks. They were concentrating on the isa first but other accounts were listed in the press release so :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Ok thanks my Monzo Buddy

3 Likes

:+1:

Just to piggyback off of what other folk have said, being able to unlock it with a click is rather pointless. I spent hours last night (with payday today) planning my locked pots (how much to go in them, setting up automatic transfers, picking the dates to unlock) only to discover I could undo all of that with a click.

I understand the “people need to have more self-control” angle, but unfortunately with an ADHD diagnosis under my belt, that’s something that’s very not possible for me outwith the few hours a day that I’m medicated.

Previously, my method was to have an account with almost every legacy bank going, transferring money I wanted saved to them, and ripping up the cards and “removing” Internet Banking as much as I could. This sounds drastic, but unfortunately it’s the only thing I could do to stop myself going into more bloody debt.

I empathise completely with the situation at hand - COps will always need to be on hand to deal with issues when it comes to money being locked away in any manner. However, for the likes of those that have more special circumstances (such as myself with ADHD), features like locking pots is an absolute lifeline in a fruitless cycle of overspending and debt.

8 Likes

I just wanted to hop on here and respond to this @shannon, because I think you raise a really important point.

We know that the changes we made to locked pots worked for some, but not everyone. We’re really aware that lots of our customers find friction helpful.

We’re still exploring the idea of positive friction (see below explanation) in the Monzo app, and how it can help our customers. We know there’s lots of opportunity to create friction to protect vulnerable people in particular, so we might reintroduce friction to locked pots at some point in the future.

Thank you for sharing your story and letting us know of your experience. Feel free to share any more thoughts you have on how we could improve locked pots, how we could make money management easier for you or anything else in Monzo. We’d love to hear them!

To give context, @anon173672 summed up positive friction in Monzo perfectly for an interview with Design Council last year.

Positive Friction is the hypothesis that we introduced which suggests that bringing in some friction to an otherwise seamless experience can greatly benefit users without damaging the quality of both your product and user behaviour. It’s a direct challenge to the approach applied by many digital products that aim to get you through a flow as quickly as possible, regardless of the negative outcomes that may happen. This gives users more protection, a safety net when things can go wrong, whether big or small, and is achieved without taking a knock on how they use the product.

7 Likes

Just out of interest was the “Positive Friction hypothesis” a result of the first hypothesis? Which was?
e.g Some friction will help customers and moving on to a new friction model will help?
Also I assume the null hypothesis is that Postive friction will have no effect on friction or experience
I assume there will be some A/B testing. Or will there be control groups and specific A/B testing as the postive friction is probably more important to a subset of vulnerable individuals

So now on latest TF 3.0

Went to delete a time locked pot and it stated unable as it is not the specified date yet.

I thought that the friction had been removed and allowed you to delete regardless or this a bug now?

Not an issue for me just thought I would note it

Don’t quote me on this but I believe it was more that you can remove the lock by editing the pot :man_shrugging:

Yes you are correct I just went straight in and delete the pot :joy:

Now unlocked and it deleted the pot :joy:

1 Like

Monzo, please, this is TOO easy. The app I use to lock away my Nigerian naira money is called Piggyvest. If you choose to break open a locked pot before the set date, you will be charged 5% of whatever you have saved in that pot! I love that idea! Can Monzo please also use this method?? Monzo pots are TOO easy to unlock! Help!

1 Like

Is it possible for Monzo to give individual clients different options on how they want INDIVIDUAL pots broken?

  1. Allow me break the pot anytime I want.
  2. Make me wait for 2 days after I’ve sent my request to break a pot.
  3. Make me wait for 5 days after I’ve sent my request to break a pot.
  4. Charge me money for choosing to break a pot.
  5. Insist I call customer care to ask them to break a pot for me.
  6. Pot cannot be broken no matter what.

Can Monzo give all these options to customers and allow them to pick whichever they want for EACH pot?

For example, I can choose option 1 for pot A, option 3 for pot B, option 6 for pot C, etc.

Please stop posting the same comments on two topics.

5 Likes

You’re very passionate about this.

Absolutely, Kate.

I get the idea, but, at the risk of being out of step, I fear that such granular attention to how customers access their funds would be bordering on a Nanny State.

It’s one thing to restrict access where an incentive applies - ie fixed rate savings. Quite another to assume the customer has no willpower and needs to be cosseted.

I don’t want to be treated like a child. By all means point me towards budgetary advice and good practice but go easy on the controls.

5 Likes

This genuinely is the case for some though. What you call a “Nanny State” others would call supporting the more vulnerable.

If Monzo were to introduce what is suggested, and I doubt they will in the foreseeable future, it just wouldn’t be a feature suited to you. It would though perhaps be a godsend for people with little to no impulse control, making impulsive purchasing impossible, or at least more difficult.

As I said though, I don’t think Monzo will change locked pots any time soon. I think they have higher priorities at the moment, and the last time there was friction on locked pots the support team had a tsunami of unlock requests to deal with.

2 Likes

I agree. I am all for friction but at the same time there has to be a way to get access to the money without penalty. Otherwise I’d stick it in a notice account and earn more interest (a mute point in today’s climate).

1 Like