Viva Las Vegas! Providing customer support from the States

I heard Edinburgh :wink:

2 Likes

Seing lots of monzo t-shirts in Edinburgh would be very cool :smiley:

1 Like

Scotland and customer service…? I’m sure there is a Frankie Boyle joke about that somewhere… :wink:

3 Likes

Could have referenced a better comedian… Kevin Bridges perhaps :wink:

1 Like

I think you’ll find that there is a very high number of call centres in Scotland! O2, Sky, EE, Tesco, Sainsburys Bank all have main contact centres in Scotland. As at 2011 4% of Scotlands Population worked in a call centre!

3 Likes

RBS, Aviva, SSE, Virgin Media…there’s probably way more too.

Oh plenty more, that was just off the top of my head! Anyway apologies for taking this topic off topic!

Definitely is, Tesco customer service call centre in Scotland were nothing but excellent for me when I needed their help :). Just reminded me off a rather offensive Frankie Boyle joke about Scottish customer service :wink:

2 Likes

I spoken to Lloyds a few times from Scotland, my guess is it’s all of the Lloyds baking group.

Cardiff / Swansea are becoming popular for CS

I worked for T-Mobile about 10 years ago in Greenock and even though I’m a Geordie customers, especially those from the southern parts of England regularly commented on how friendly the advisors were that were in the Northern based called centres. There must have been some sort of element in truth from what they were saying because a lot of the same people also slagged off Merthyr Tydfil and the Welsh accents…

1 Like

Personally I like calling BT as I find it a lot easier understanding their Indian staff speaking English than some British people speaking English. I know for example there are some nice Scottish accents but some are totally uncomprehensible to me! At one international conference I got a Norwegian guy to tell me what someone was saying. I thought he was translating from a foreign language. It turned out the other person was from Glasgow and the Norwegian man was repeating it word for word, but in an English I could understand :rofl:

2 Likes

And Edinburgh is a big financial centre, so a good way to scale Monzo’s overall operations. :wink:

2 Likes

Belfast would be good as would be easier to expand to the Republic and studies show people like the Northern Irish accent

3 Likes

Gordon Brown once said “British jobs for British workers”. I am not sure what happened next as he was gone soon afterwards :joy:

The question is, how British is Monzo? Are they British because the company was started in the UK? Their boss has a proper multicultural experience of growing up abroad which must have informed his thinking a lot. Their workforce is probably super multicultural as well.

My guess is Monzo is not as British as many of you might believe. Their DNA is multinational and we will see more of it as they begin their overseas expansion. You can’t expect them to employ British migrants each time they open overseas office of CS centre! :rofl:

2 Likes

On multiple occasions I’ve called Amazon/ Apple the staff were from Scotland too! :sparkles:

@Caanan I think this has been debated on one of the diversity blog post threads before if you’re interested- the blog post has staff statistics. Would you personally prefer if Monzo hired more British nationals?

3 Likes

Amazon, apple and Adobe all have big customer contact centres here. Most of your amazon returns come up to the amazon Dunfermline depot! It’s huge!

The first time I did a return I thought it said Dunder Mifflin and got really excited. I thought it was a real place :disappointed:

3 Likes

Nope. If they are to become competitive abroad they need to understand local cultures. Brits are famously not very good at it.:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My fingers were too slow to link the posts just now but you can read the latest one (and the massive debate, but let’s not go there) here

And the previous one here

I’m a huge sucker for graphs and stats, so I really liked the blog post. (And their yearly updates)

3 Likes

Cool. Thanks! :grinning: