Using Stripe or Paypal to buy something in USD?

Hi all, considering getting a subscription to Habitica which is $48 as they have their gift a sub and get a free one. You can either pay via Stripe, or Paypal.

I’m just wondering which one saves me money, so which one I should go for?

Thanks!

Paying via Stripe with your Monzo card will give you the Mastercard exchange rate - you can check the conversion rate here - https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

I think paying via PayPal depends whether Paypal do the conversion for you (which probably won’t be as good as the Mastercard rate) or charge your card in USD. I’m sure in the past I’ve had the option - in this case opt for your card to be charged in USD and you will again get the Mastercard rate.

Yep, PayPal convert for you to around £39 when I checked. Does Stripe not charge a markup %?

Thanks!

The only time I’ve used Stripe to pay for something in USD is when buying from Humble Bundle. I wasn’t charged any markup, as Stripe charged my Monzo card in USD.

1 Like

Stripe charge the merchant, rather than the customer

3 Likes

Here is the conversion with the Mastercard rate (though the exact amount will depend on the date the transaction “settles” - normally a few days).

1 Like

Ah, okay I’ll go with Stripe then!

Will it be getting better or worse? Should I buy it now or wait? I know the pound is weak (I think) atm, so wondering if it will go down more.

Thanks!

If I knew, I’d be a currency trader :crazy_face::joy:

The exchange rate is constantly fluctuating, but I’d be very surprised if you end up paying more than a few pennies different either way to what’s in the screenshot. Some major Brexit news could see the rate change a bit more dramatically either way though.

If you’re concerned, might be best to take PayPal’s conversion since it’s guaranteed.

1 Like

Okay, thanks. I’ll go with Stripe as it will save me a pound so I can’t see there being such a change that would change too dramatically.

Thanks!

1 Like