UK is the scam capital of the world!

Morning Monzos☺️ As talked about on Good Morning tv. Research states good old Blighty is the most scammed country. Thoughts please? Are brits too trusting? Has anyone NOT been scammed yet? (Online or offline).

1 Like

I’d be interested to see the research, I can’t imagine how we are worse than America as they have SO MANY more people and still use things like cheques regularly.

5 Likes

So far as I’m aware I’ve never been scammed.

4 Likes

52% of us believed a bus.

I’d also imagine whatever the research is, it’s probably dealing in percentages than volume of people. That’s how we’d beat (be worse than) America.

12 Likes

Go UK :uk: #1!

11 Likes

I didn’t think I’d ever been scammed, but then I remembered that I walked into Pret recently and actually handed over my money.

13 Likes

It’s surprising how many people believe if they send a bank transfer for goods and services they’re protected, when the odds of getting money back is very low with no guarantees, opposed to debit chargeback or section 75.

While frustrating for customers, systems used by banks do a good job at protecting customers money.

Personally feel there should be more thorough questioning other than the scam warning in apps to prevent fraud and scams happening. Along with more informational screens IE advanced fee scams, paying xyz up front for a loan etc.

Fraudsters and scammers are getting smarter and sadly prey on the elderly. Impersonation stuff like going to a customers door pretending to be the police or bank staff to get customers cards and pin numbers to fleece them. How do we fix that as a society without breaching customer privacy or harassing them with emails and letters.

It’s a tough one and will forever be an issue.

2 Likes

The only way I can see of fixingthings - or at least making them better - would be to slow everything down. Have perhaps some kind of escrow or cooling off system, so that when you realise you’ve been scammed, you have time to report the scam and claim the money back before it reaches the scammers 's account.

Of course, this would go entirely against the long-standing trend towards making payments easier an faster.

1 Like

Never been scammed, to my knowledge, unless you count the time that EDF tried to charge me £2500 for gas and electricity that I hadn’t used :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m just happy we’ve come 1st in something as a country…

2 Likes

Don’t know if there’s a more appropriate thread for this. Feels like my details have once again leaked in some data breach, as I’ve had two scam attempts in two days.

Yesterday the call with the robo-lady telling me that HMRC are suing me for fraud, and today this:

I didn’t know I was a mother! Proud day today. I’m almost tempted to text back and mess about with them a bit but that is always advised against.

Anyone else had an uptick in scam attempts?

4 Likes

I think they just get lucky opposed to actually targeting you.

It’s likely all linked to the same scam group. Just play along, I’m waiting to get mine :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s targeted but so far I only been receiving scam emails, my phone number hasn’t been known to them. There must’ve been a recent data leak/breach.

The problem with playing along is that they’ll know it’s an active number and then I’ll be included in more of these broad brush attempts. Otherwise I’d text back and take them for a ride

1 Like

MrsW had that one last week and asked me if it was KiddoW#1 that had lost her phone.

So I called KIddoW#1’s actual phone & she answered. It is a scam. Playing on heartstrings and the fact that kids lose/break phones often. Disgusting really.

3 Likes

People do sadly fall for it.

Stopping the spoofing of phone numbers would be useful even if they originate from abroad. Also tracking where funds go and being able to claw them back would also be invaluable. As Oscar Goldman in the Six Million Dollar Man said, Gentleman, we have the technology.

1 Like

There’s a great subreddit for this called /r/scambaiter

Joe Lycett could make a while series out of these scams.

Oh hang on, he did, but with emails.

Time to branch out, Joe, for another series, mate :grin:

3 Likes

I remind my Dad relatively regularly that if he ever gets a text like that to call me or ask a security question. Like “how did you get the scar on your knee?” I really worry someone will get him.

Someone used his card details to buy pizza and he didn’t want to cancel his card as they “only did it once” :fearful::scream:

7 Likes

Sounds like my mum - she paid a deposit for furniture off facebook market place, the deposit was £30, he never showed and blocked her. She could not be bothered to call the bank over £30 and report it as fraud

It was HSBC she banked with, not Monzo, so it’s not as if she would have been waiting hours for a reply

I wish she would have done, I was unable to do it for her :frowning:

God know how many people he’s done that too