UK domestic travel insurance

Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m flying on Sunday and wasn’t going to bother but then I read this :see_no_evil:

Don’t fly, it’s better for the planet.

Do fly, because you’ve already booked the tickets and have plans.

Hmmmmm :man_shrugging:

My only recommendation will be to turn up and see. If XR get their way and you are flying out of London City Airport then you might get caught up in this, or you might not.

Am I helping?! :laughing:

1 Like

I wouldn’t fly if the alternative wasn’t a 16 hour plus journey involving 3 buses, a ferry and a train as an alternative. I’ve only got 5 nights away :woman_shrugging:

I’m going Gatwick but there’s always a drone risk

So… insurance recommendations…

1 Like

Ha, my bad, totally didn’t read the TITLE of your post… insurance!

2 Likes

I have travel insurance through my employer and it covers UK domestic (never had this before). Obviously the usual travel insurance healthcare stuff is irrelevant because you are staying the UK. It does cover cancellation and curtailment PROVIDING that you have at least one night’s accomodation booked somewhere. So wouldn’t cover you if you catching a flight to see your Gran for example.

I think that this is typical of domestic travel insurance. You also need ot check because not all cover “End User Failure” - like if the hotel you booked go bust or something.

1 Like

I’ve never bothered previously - and I have flown extensively within UK for business in my working life. However in light of this it might be advisable to get some quotes for annual insurance that covers UK as well. R-

Alot of policies will cover a UK break if you’ve booked some nights in a hotel,

But I’m not sure exactly what it covers.

You can choose the UK as a destination on comparison sites.

I just had a quick look on Go Compare for a 1-week travel period - can get a 4* Defacto Rating cover for about £5. Cheapest was about £2.50.

I had a quick read of Puffin’s policy (slow day…) - and generally delays, disruptions, cancellations - come with a few restrictions like you must be delayed X hours and you are at the airport/station (which I read to mean they wouldn’t cover for cancellation if you had notice of a delay, and you chose to stay home?)

Seems to have a minimum trip length of 2 days, covering £1500 of cancellation cover - which seems reasonable.

I’d wager that most policies are probably similar, but I’d likely go for this one if I were after domestic insurance.

1 Like

There used to be a hack to get12 months of 2 for 1 cinema tickets from Compare the Market by buying a one day U.K. only travel insurance policy for £1. So, presumably, they will still be offering the policies.

I went with Puffin in the end, through Compare the Market

They don’t cover end supplier failure but i think Premier Inn and Easy Jet are unlikely to go into administration in the next 10 days, so I should be ok :sweat_smile:

Thanks for your help people :raised_hands:. I’ve bought overseas insurance before but Uk was a new experience

4 Likes

Quick question related to this. Not looking for an excuse to collect the metal card, promise. Does Monzo Premium travel insurance cover domestic travel? If so, any specific requirements that must be met? Any notable exclusions beyond pre-existing health conditions which won’t be a problem in this case as we have a NHS.

Multi-trip cover for you, your partner and family anywhere in the world, including the UK and the US. With £50 excess.

1 Like

Thank you!

I like the car hire excess cover up to £3k which reduces my car hire lease every time. I think it’s like an extra £12 a day for it via the hire company :weary:

1 Like

It’s mostly transport I’m concerned with. Particularly with all the recent storms recently. Delays, cancellations, extensions are all considerable risks which could impact the accommodation and lead to further expenses.

A storm cancelling the Ferry the weekend we’re due to travel for instance, could mean no longer requiring the first hop accommodation as we’ll be travelling later. Many places are non-refundable and strongly advise travel insurance in such instances.

I just want peace of mind really. Mostly because this is a proper domestic leisure vacation we’re planning as opposed to business, and I’ve never vacationed domestically before and I don’t go on vacation without insurance.

My brief research thus far seems like travel insurance for domestic vacations is far more complex and confusing, with vague and often undisclosed requirements for what is considered to be a domestic vacation. Maybe I’m better just travelling with the risk and absorbing any losses that could occur due to a cancelled or delayed departure. Will probably just stick to going abroad in future though, I know what I’m doing there!

Does this help?

This is from the Premium downloads.

“ Any trip solely within the country of residence is only covered where you are travelling more than 100 kilometres from home and have pre-booked at least two nights’ stay at a registered accommodation provider rented for a fee.”

Cancellation - For irrecoverable unused travel and
accommodation costs and any pre-paid excursions, tours or activities at your trip destination, together with any reasonable additional travel expenses incurred, if cancellation or rebooking of the trip is necessary and unavoidable as a result of any of the listed changes in circumstances.

Curtailment - For irrecoverable unused travel and accommodation costs and any pre-paid excursions, tours or activities at your trip destination, together with any reasonable additional travel expenses incurred, if the trip is curtailed before completion as a result of any of the listed changes in circumstances.

1 Like

Yep! Super helpful! Thank you!

1 Like